Differences between USB 2.0 / Firewire 400 external HDD

C

code777

I'm curious, is there a big difference between a USB and Firewire external HDD? I am looking at a LACIE for an external since I want to do some video editing on my "poor" iBook. A few people have told me I won't be able to use iMovie and import stuff froma digital camcorder with my iBook but... anyway thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
usb is slower than firewire. firewire drives can be worked off of more easily cause of faster transfer speeds, if youre doing video editing, firewire is what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats the same hd I bought recently, though mine only cost 169.99 new, and another $20 for overnight shipping. you should be able to do that.

OP
C

code777

hmmm ok

oh and a question. for the time being i have a 15GB video file (iMovie) on my HDD now. Is it possible to move that to my 40GB iPod for the time being and free up my HDD? Or is this ill advised for the iPods sake?

It might take me another week or so to get funds for the Lacie...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thatll be fine.

OP
C

code777

very good.

since i have the combo-drive if i were to get an external DVD burner what can i do? External DVD burners can't be used with iDVD correct?

sorry to change the topic but..... thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not natively, but you can use an app called patchburn to force it to use the external burner.

OP
E

Echo_

usb 2.0 is faster than firewire 400...
usb speeds is 480mb/s while firewire 400 is 400mb/s
now if you have firewire 800... thats a different story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah but due to certain factors Firewire 400 still runs faster than USB 2.0 in real life situations.

I think it is because USb sends packages of data, whilst firewire is like a constant data stream.

But mot of the time I don't think you would notice a difference.

OP
C

code777

OK guys, i am trying to transfer my iMovie project to my iPod for now but i am unsure which files to move as I see a bunch of folders with my project name - i assume all these folders then?

also after transfering my project how do i open it back up again with iMovie??? If all files are on iPod? I think I missing something here, thanks!

I only have 10GB left on my iBook - HELP!!!!! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There should be one central folder with a star on it that has your projects name on it. Inside that folder is all the data iMovie needs, so just move the entire folder to your iPod.

Then open iMovie, select 'open existing project', and then select the folder on your iPod in the 'open' dialog window.

OP
C

code777

thanks but...

when i do this i get a msg that says:

"You cannot copy the item "Icon because the name is too long or includes characters that the disk cannot display"

What does this mean? It doesn't copy any of the contents in the "star" folder...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.