Old Memory/New Memory G5 issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2.0, G4, powerbook mercury, G3 Power Mac
Hey guys. I'm new here so i want to say thanks for all of the help you Mac Gods of the message board.

I'll list what i have and what i have done to eliminate any guess work.

Problem: After installing my new Ram, only 1 gig shows up.

What hardware i have: Power Mac G5 2.0 late June with the 4 pci slots & 8 gig max memory slots. It has the original 250 gig H.D. and i just installed the 1T Hitachi SATA DeskStar 3.0 GB H.D.

What i've done: It had 4 GB of ram installed by the previous owner so i wanted to max it out with another 4. Bought this off of ebay....

2GB 2 X 1GB PC3200 DDR 400 PC 3200 2700 2100 MEMORY RAM - eBay (item 110330199830 end time Jan-24-09 09:12:08 PST)

...and did everything to get it to work until i found out that i needed the low density version. Thats getting shipped soon but in the mean time i put the new HD in and the memory back to where i think i had it.

Whats going on now: After the 'first' attempt with changing and moving the memory, i've never been able to get back the original 4 gb of memory. Did the basics of pairing up everything and putting them in their respective places. (slot 1 upper and slot 1 lower)
pressed and did the SMU reset on the logic board. I've taken out the memory and pressed them in to all **** like i was going to break the computer but i still get the one gb of ram reading.

What do i do now.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks harry.
Ive looked for the apple hardware test and see that you have to boot up from the #1 original disk. It says that you have to hold down the 'D' key on start up but that's for intel macs only. What do i do if i have a non-intel mac and running 10.4.1?

rick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
'C' after the chimes......

And if X.4.1 is not a typo, try updating to X.4.11.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
should i upgrade to the latest ox before i do anything?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.