sawtooth processor upgrade

Reaction score
first post guys, so go easy. new to "owning" a mac... so please be nice to the stupid PC guy here.

at any rate I got this thing dumped in my shop, and curiosity got the best of me. 400mhz "sawtooth" (at least that's what I think it is). I installed 768mb of pc133 ram I had laying around. Put in a 120gb IDE hard drive and a 22x IDE samsung DVD burner. so far just like getting an old similarly stripped PC up and running! Got the OS X 10.4 disc that was left with this machine when it was dropped off in shambles (yes it's been sitting over a year and letters have been sent... it's been "destroyed").

its up, its running. it's SLOW... VERY slow. it was also left with office 2004, toast titanium 8 and some other misc jibberish. is it possible to drop in one of these dual G4 cpu upgrdade kits from the "digital audio" version? or is this just a waste of my time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Firstly the memory..it requires PC133 low density memory modules an d PC modules generally are high density and will not work. The OS Tiger X.4 disc, is it a black coloured retail install, hopefully, and not a grey coloured model specific disc?

A CPU will work if it is an AGP machine and OWC have probably the best array but they ain't cheap! Here is a link:-

PowerMac G4 AGP Processor Upgrades, PowerMac G3 and G4 ZIF Processor Upgrades, Video Cards AGP PCI PCIe for Apple Macs at OtherWorldComputing.com

OP
B
Reaction score
it's 256's and 128's so it's low density. infact I know it works because it actually let me load the OS and the mac sees all 768mb of it. and yes the disk is black not grey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two x 256 and two x 128? Are all the modules the same, such as doubled sided etc?

OP
B
Reaction score
mis matched. just upped it to 896mb. random sticks of pc133 I found around the shop. all single sided.

any apps like memtest x86+ for the mac out there to confirm there are no errors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
256 and 128 can both come in high density so I think you need genuine Apple compatible memory and Macs are very choosey about memory, particularly under OS X of any version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.