Problem with Macbook charger

Reaction score
I'm currently on my 2nd charger right now and it is broken. I have no idea what I am doing to break these chargers so I thought maybe someone had an idea for me of what is going on.

I usually leave the charger plugged into the wall. The only time it moves is if I go upstairs to work on the macbook or if my son (who is 1) pulls it out of the wall. The charger was working fine a few days ago, my son pulled it out of the wall (right in front of me) and then it stopped working (no light at all, and no charge). There are no wires exposed, nothing. We live in an older home so it makes it easy for things to pull out of the outlets (meaning, my son didn't use much force to get it out). I checked to make sure nothing sticky was on the plug or the magnet to the computer. They both look fine. This is the second time this has happend, the guy at the Apple store said there was a sticky substance on it (I call BS but thats another story). We just moved and our plugs at our last place were new so I know its not an outlet problem and since there is nothing sticky on the outlet I'm ruling that out too. Any suggestions or are the macbook chargers just a bunch of crap?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Either a really bad coincidence or something else. How does your son pull it out of the wall? I know of a few friend who have had problems with several chargers as is the same with some people and other Apple products. As I said it could just be a really really bad coincidence.

Interestingly...you said the Apple guy said there was a 'sticky substance' on it - did he actually show you this?

OP
B
Reaction score
Either a really bad coincidence or something else. How does your son pull it out of the wall? I know of a few friend who have had problems with several chargers as is the same with some people and other Apple products. As I said it could just be a really really bad coincidence.

Interestingly...you said the Apple guy said there was a 'sticky substance' on it - did he actually show you this?

Nope, he didn't. He just said thats why it wasn't working. I of course thought my son must have gotten into it but after this time (when I was sitting right there) I know there was nothing wrong. He pulls it out from the base so hes not pulling the wire or anything.

Reaction score
They are a bunch of crap. I'm on my fourth now. Not to mention I have had 2nd degree burns from falling asleep with the charger by my arm (my own fault). They get way too hot and melt down. The only solution to this problem is to keep the charger un-plugged from the wall and computer when not charging. It is a major design flaw on Apple's part.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.