Loading EZ-USB firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I need to load some firmware into a Cypress-FX2 based USB device.
This uses Cypress's EZ-USB capability.

Under Linux there is a utility called 'fxload' which does this.

I cannot find a version of fxload for MacOS (I am running 10.4)

I heard Apple used to have something called "EzLoad" which did this but cannot find that anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get it or some other way to load the Cypress EZ-USB based firmware from MacOs ?

Thank You

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (late-07)
Jeff:

I, too, am trying to get a Cypress FX2 working under Mac OSX, and so far have found no ready-to-use download utilities. Thanks to your post, I found the source code for Apple's EZloader at:

Index of /darwinsource/10.3.2/IOUSBFamily-206.4.1/Examples/Ezloader Example

Since I'm far from an XCode expert, I plopped it into a new project (command-line, CoreFoundation) and while it does compile it errors out at runtime. But that was just the first 5 minutes. We'll see. NOW... if you have any luck getting this to work, PLEASE tell me!

And here is some other info I found on the web. This Apple guide is where the code, above, was apparently taken from:

Apple's USB Device Interface Guide just happens to use the Cypress EZ-USB as an example, and the chapter "Accessing a USB device," at

USB Device Interface Guide: Accessing a USB Device

gives complete details and sample code for accessing the Cypress "raw" device, downloading firmware to it, then accessing the freshly created USB device when it reconnects with the bus.

-Gary

I need to load some firmware into a Cypress-FX2 based USB device.
This uses Cypress's EZ-USB capability.

Under Linux there is a utility called 'fxload' which does this.

I cannot find a version of fxload for MacOS (I am running 10.4)

I heard Apple used to have something called "EzLoad" which did this but cannot find that anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get it or some other way to load the Cypress EZ-USB based firmware from MacOs ?

Thank You

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (late-07)
Ahh, the whole ezload example is included with the XCode developer distribution... It's in Developer:Examples:IO Kit:USB:Ezloader Example.

It builds and runs fine, but so far no luck getting it to actually recognize my FX2 device, nor download anything. The app just hangs. Pretty hard to figure out what the app is thinking because it uses a bunch of asynchronous notifications. Not even sure how to debug such beasts.

-Gary

Reaction score
I've ported the linux tool to OSX. Source code is available here:

nall's nexys2-osx at master - GitHub

Running xcodebuild in the fxload directory should build it.

One primary difference from the linux version is that you specify the USB target via VID/PID instead of a device file (the -D option).

nall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.