RAM Upgrade

Reaction score
I'm interested in upgrading my 2GB Ram in my iMac to 4GB
I've found crucial Ram online very cheap and was wondering if anyone recommends it?
Does it void the warranty on my iMac if I install Ram that's not from Apple?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.8 ghz and Macbook Pro 13" 2.53 ghz
I've done the same exact upgrade (from Crucial too) on two family iMacs. It's VERY easy to do. The hardest part is getting out the original RAM - it can be kind of snug. I had to use a pair of small needle nose pliers to get one set out. I'm not sure if it voids the Apple Warranty but the Apple store worker told me to just put the original RAM back into the machine if I needed to bring the computer back in for any warranty work when I told him I planned to upgrade the RAM myself. I would suspect it does void it.

Reaction score
I just upgraded my ram as well. I support newegg.com over crucial though. i tend to find better deals and quicker shipping. you can use crucials memory checker found on their website to determine the speed/type of memory that is required for your imac.
As previously stated, its a piece of cake to change out. firmly grasp the black tab pull down and wiggle side to side at the same time. pay attention to which way the ram comes out, noticeable notch cutout on top side of ram, and ensure the new sticks go in the same way.
thats all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, seems easy and videos on YouTube that I've seen make it look easy as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.