Recovering Data

Reaction score
I accidently deleted Front Row while trying to remove it from my desktop. I assumed the Icon on the desktop was a short cut to the program and I did not want it there so I deleted it. Whoops! Now the program won't work at all. I understand it is not totally deleted from the hard drive and can be recovered. Do I need special software for this? Can I just reload the program from the install discs? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can get it back by letting a program like Pacifist extract it from your computers restore disks

Reaction score
What was the icon doing on your desktop in the first place? Are you sure it's not in your applications folder?

OP
B
Reaction score
I just checked, its not in the applications folder. I just bought the Mac and I as I was exploring its infinite possibilities I discovered the front row program. I wanted to move the program to the dock so I drug it out of the applications folder and it did not work at first and just created an icon on the desktop. I then retried to add it to the dock and it worked, but left the icon on the desktop as well. I tried to delete the icon, thinking I had the program on the dock. As soon as I deleted the icon on the desktop, the one on the dock had a question mark through it. Bad news. I'll see if I can't get ahold of Pacifist and tried to recover it. Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
yeah, by dragging to the desktop you moved the application completely, because it's within the same drive, by default mac moves ... bummer

then when you dragged again from your desktop to the dock the dock shortcut was directed to the desktop :)

you can try inserting the Mac OS installation disk and I think there is some kind of an option to add components

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank You

Thanks so much for your help. I used Pacifist, but instead of recovering the lost data, it guided me through re-installing the program using the OS software. Thanks again for all your help.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.