iBook screen problem, please help.

Reaction score
Hello I have an iBook 600 MHz with Tiger installed. It has worked well for me from about 6 months, but now I am having serious problems. For the most part, it seems that most of the hardware still works, but I am having screen issues. Whenever I power my iBook up, the screen and the works, but when if change the screen’s angle (even the slightest bit), the screen becomes garbled and the computer freezes. However, I have no idea how to fix it as I do not even know how to get to the screen in the iBook. I think the probably may have something to do with the hinges. I would really be thankful for any help or suggestions because I do not want to buy another iBook at the moment. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
It may be a pinched cable however it sounds more like a logic board failure common to that model of iBook.
In that case you are better getting a new iBook considering the cost to replace the logic board.

Jef

Reaction score
ibook problem

I believe the problem with the logic board eventually is because of a defective screen cable issue. I have been Mac user my entire life. I recently purchased a mac maintained ibook power PC 750 serial # UV24366LQ5. It is the second one I've owned; the first logic board was permanently damaged by a shorted out display cable. Now, this second ibook, has the same exact problem. I was assured by certified mac service people that this was not a problem to even be concerned with, and that they never even heard of this problem in the past. Now, after six months of use, the same exact problem has occurred with the exact same type of unit.
Needless to say, I am very disappointed with the clear lies and the fact that this otherwise simple problem could have been solved by either the mac service dept replacing the known cable defect (not a simple job,from what I understand), or just tell me the truth so I could have made another choice. Perhaps even engineering better cable design for this clearly obvious defect, so it could more easily replaced.
Aside from this scenario, I have yet to find any other problems or issues with my macs or usage until this ibook cable issue.
I hope this mac forum may help me to get some satisfaction for my dilemma, since I clearly don't want to go to a different brand of computer and operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.