Weird zipping noise after starting up new macbook

Reaction score
Ok, I recently had my macbook pro replaced for weird fan noises (turns out the fan was hitting into something, so they just replaced it), however now on the replacement model, whenever I start up the macbook, or wake it from sleep mode, it makes this weird "zip zoop" noise. I never heard it on my old macbook pro, so I'm not sure if that was a problem with that one, of it its a new problem with this one. I've researched it on google and such, and it doesn't sound like the optical drive, (or rather, it doesn't sound like the recording apple provided on their website of the optical drive). Its a pretty loud zipping noise. It could be because the battery is charging up, but I'm still hesitant to believe that this is a normal sound. Any help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does it come from the area where the optical drive is? If so, that's probably just the SuperDrive. Some models are louder than others. It should make a brief noise upon startup (or wake from sleep). You should be able to replicate the noise by inserting a disc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ah, it is coming from the area that the optical drive is. Though, when I put a cd in, the sound wasn't replicated. It was a different sound, but it had similarities to it. Speaking of which, when inserting a cd into the macbook, how far should you put it in before it automatically goes in? The only other thing I've used that you put a cd in like that has been a wii, and with that, you put in a tiny bit of the cd, and it goes straight in. With the macbook pro, I have to put it all the way in, and then it just gets pulled in from there. Is that how its supposed to be?

Sorry for the questions, this is my first mac product, so I have no idea what's to be expected anymore. lol

Reaction score
when my penryn was new it used to suck it in just like the wii but now it only takes it if i shove it in!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, it is coming from the area that the optical drive is. Though, when I put a cd in, the sound wasn't replicated. It was a different sound, but it had similarities to it. Speaking of which, when inserting a cd into the macbook, how far should you put it in before it automatically goes in? The only other thing I've used that you put a cd in like that has been a wii, and with that, you put in a tiny bit of the cd, and it goes straight in. With the macbook pro, I have to put it all the way in, and then it just gets pulled in from there. Is that how its supposed to be?

When my MacBook Pro had an LG SuperDrive, it took much more effort to grab the disc. Since they replaced it a few months ago under warranty with a Matshita drive, it's required much less effort (similar to the Wii). The LG drive was much noisier too. This one just makes a low grumble upon insert/eject and power on/off. My guess would be that you have a similar LG model.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that bad though? Like, Are there any other cons to having an LG drive?

Aside from the noise issues, my LG drive was fine - but suddenly, it stopped burning DVDs right. They would fail verification with sector issues. As soon as Apple replaced the drive, the problem stopped, so I have to believe the drive itself failed and it wasn't a media problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.