Question about the Mac Mini fan??

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the 1.42 mac mini, which I upgraded to 1gig memory. I would say everything has been flawless with this machine for the last 2 weeks, except for the fan. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not...

Normally the machine is very quiet. Depending on the number of applications running the fan will start to spin fast for a 1-2 minutes. Tonight I had one web browser open, and the fan started to spin very quickly. After 10 minutes the fan was still spinning at full throttle! I restarted the system, and it was back to normal (could barely hear the system).

Is this something I should be concerned with? Is it worth bringing it back to the Apple store for them to have look at?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Vake J.

F

forbin

Can't answer your question, but my new iMac does the same thing .. Mostly whisper quiet, but sometimes, it sounds like the turbo in my car ;-)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Shortly after the PowerMac G5s came out they issued a firmware fix to the fan activating software, it's possible some similar mistake has been made with the iMac and Mini (I doubt there are many different sets of fan firmware knocking around), probably worth getting in touch with tech support by email or something.

I've noticed my Mini doing this for a few seconds after some particulary intensive disk activity (i.e I did a dump of 2500+ tracks from my iPod to my Mini and about half way through the fan started up), 2.5 inch HDs can create quite a bit of heat!

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.