Imac 24'' or wait?

Reaction score
Hi guys, i just need some advice on what i should do, I have just saved up enough money for a imac 24'' 2.8ghz model, thing is though im wondering if i should save it as an immenint update is coming soon? Im unsure of apples dates in terms of events and stuff so could someone shed some light on them. so what shall i do, buy it now or wait it out.. and what changes should we see if i do wait it out. ie just processer bumps or physical changes..

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
If you need a new computer now just buy it. If you have the time to wait, wait and buy when the next revision starts.

Reaction score
Totally agree with the above.

If you do need it now though, there is another method of getting more specs for your money.

Have you considered using the Apple refurb store? The only difference you will notice from a new one is that it comes in a plain box (Same warranty, machine will be in same condition as a new one etc.).

I'm guessing you are in the USA and if so a 3.06ghz 24" (Faster processer, larger hard drive and double the video memory) is up for $1,899 at the moment (The model you mentioned is $1,549 on there too).

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

There are no iMacs on the UK page at the moment but, as the site gets updated regularly, it is worth checking back frequently.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, Im from the uk but i will keep an eye on the refurb store? When does apple usually release updates..

Reaction score
hi, im in the same boat as you, just saved up about £1000 for a computer and decided to go for the mac 24" looks well nice, but then I ask myself should I wait as they have been out quite a while now and all the pc's are running on quad cores not duo's so will it be long before mac do the same? will it make much difference to the mac?
and another quick question, where did you find the cheapest price? i found laskys at £1025 for the 2gb 2.8, with 256 graphics version but out of stock, comet will reduce to that price but only if laskys have stock in, so im going to phone them tommorow to see if they are getting any in, then buy from comet. (or will I wait?. arhh)

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I was going to buy right after MacWorld expecting an update but that didnt happen.

I dont really NEED a computer but I have wanted a Mac for a while now. I just have to be patient since I know I will kick myself if it comes out right after I buy one.

I fully expect that the new iMac will be out sometime in the first quarter. If its not I will just get the old one, in fact I may buy refurb just so I wont feel so bad about buying one that will change soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I'm was holding out on getting a new iMac until after Macworld too, but news of an upgrade didn't come.

I'm so tempted to get one this weekend and forget about waiting.

But then there is that part that wants to wait and get the latest and greatest.

Its a dilly of a pickle for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I am waiting a bit, I also want one, but love the newest, :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Could be a revised iMac next week. It could be May or June.

Either way, the next one is unlikely to be more than a small speed bump.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just had a look on mac rumours.. And apparantly Intel have released a new batch of Power effecient Quad core processers. They say this is what apple was waiting for the imac line. Hopefully we should see something soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I read that too. Hopefully we ill hear more about it.

Reaction score
took the plunge today

i gotta say, I couldnt wait, bought the 24" imac today and pleased I did, for what I'm going to use it for I cant see a new processor making a huge difference, so for now the 2.8 chip with 2gb ram will do me nicely. For those of you who are thinking about buying the 24" version, be warned...its beautiful, sleek and ive never had anything like it but......its a monster, a huge piece of kit sitting on your desktop, so make sure you have plenty of space before you buy!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.