First time ever touching a MAC

V

vonedaddy

Hello all,
I am as about as new as anyone can be to MAC. I have never touched on in my life. I am a windows user for a long time now and recently started playing with Linux. In work someone brought a powerbook in and I played with it for a few hours and I loved it. Anyway I just bought a g4 ibook. I bought the cheapest one because it is just for learning purposes. Anyway I am doing pretty good finding my way around for now. Just wanted to express my excitement with some other mac users. Please be patient with me and my stupid quetions in the future! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Well, congratulations on the iBook. I'm actually a recent iBook switcher as well (Christmas), only mine's the 14". If it's any consolation, I picked up extremely fast being a long time PC user. I've even started dabbling with Xcode tools and changing around programs a bit with Interface Builder. A starting tip to get you off on the right foot: If you were fairly dependent upon things like Alt+tab and the Windows key on PCs, you'll probably LOVE Expose. But anyway, if you're familiar with computers in general, you'll pick up pretty quickly, and I'm sure your 'dumb' questions won't be all that dumb. Welcome to the forums.

OP
N

NightWolf0829

First off: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! May you days be merry! ;)

Second:
I agree with Mevyn, you will learn fast, since you have dabbed in linux (mac is Unix with a "pretty face") and everything is super easy. I just recently got my iBook (g3, 466mhz, 312 ram, etc. "clamshell") and i'm in love. Ive had a PC (can we even say that horrid word in here?) for a long time, about 4 or so now, and my iBook. If you have any questions just post it (after searching) and someone will be glad to help you with anything. BTW: you can access the "console" in the applications folder/utilities.

OP
V

vonedaddy

Thanks for the nice welcome guys. I am loving this so far and I have only been using it for 2 hours! I already have all my shares setup from my file server and got the network printer working. I have lots of certs but none of them cover mac! I figured it would make me better at my job if I know MAC as I can see Unix being the future. Anyway off to do some searching and stupid question asking! Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Welcome to the forums! :)

OP
V

vonedaddy

Well I have no questions yet... This is a good thing. I have been successful in everything I have tried so far. I have remote desktop running my windows machines, surfing my network shares, Wireless connectivity, and bluetooth. This is awesome!

OP
K

kabwon

vonedaddy said:
Well I have no questions yet... This is a good thing. I have been successful in everything I have tried so far. I have remote desktop running my windows machines, surfing my network shares, Wireless connectivity, and bluetooth. This is awesome!

oi, how do i view other computers on my LAN?? ive managed to share my mac but all the other pc's on my LAN are windows based.
i have absolutly no idea as to where to look for the "my network places" function in mac:) please help a fellow newbie :p

OP
W

Wapa18

open a new finder window and click on the "network" icon in the sidebar (where your hard drive icon is). this will show you any computers connected to your network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.