• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Shocked at Apple selling second hand goods.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum, wasn't sure where to post this!

Basically, my girlfriend bought a BRAND NEW black Macbook from the Apple Shop in Manchester Arndale on the 4th of March last year. After we got it home, I was messing about on it, checking out all the apps etc.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that she was using iPhoto, and there wa sa system folder within it called 'originals'.

Inside this folder are hundreds of photo's of a group of schoolgirls, dated from the year 2004.

We went in to complain at the shop, and they just said it was impossible, as it was a huge breach of policy.

She's tried ringing Apple but they just say the same, they all seem to reject the every notion of it.

Frankly I'm dismayed that Apple have sold her a second hand laptop/hard drive, sold as a brand new product.

Anyone got any ideas where she should take it from here?

Cheers!

Joe

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so this happened almost a year ago?

at this point, i would think it's unlikley anything will be done.

at the time it happened, i would have brought the machine back to them and showed them the date of the files and my receipt so they could see i couldn't hae possibly added the pictures and demanded them take it back for a new one.

also, when she first started the computer did she have to go through the normal set up steps / get the welcome video and all that? if she didn't it was used for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Aside from what Eric asked, when she got the MacBook, was it covered in the plastic protective covering and everything otherwise packaged like any other new MacBook is? If it was, then I find it incredulous that it was repackaged. How could anyone possibly re-apply all that plastic protective sheeting that adheres to the outside of these things until removed?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yep, all questions I threw at her too!

Good point about the plastic wrapping - didn't think of that!

She argues that it could have been a used hard drive placed into a new machine, but as you point out, the set up process at the beginning wouldn't happen if it wasn't brand new.

I'm pretty sure at this stage that she must have imported them by accident off somebody's hard drive, probably when she was moving stuff off her old laptop or something. Cheers for the quick replies by the way!

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It could also be a 3rd party program's stock images. Aperture for example includes a few albums of stock images so you can try out features before importing your own pictures.

If iPhoto scanned her harddrive for images, it might find some stock images as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It could also be a 3rd party program's stock images. Aperture for example includes a few albums of stock images so you can try out features before importing your own pictures.

If iPhoto scanned her harddrive for images, it might find some stock images as well...

LOL if that is the actual reason. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
No, definitely not stock photo's...literally hundreds of some schoolgirl's snaps...school trips etc.

Very weird, we have no idea who any of the people in the photo's are!

Reaction score
i just purchased a macbook black NOT from apple, as the apple store is only selling refurbished versions. i am thinking that you bought a refurbished mac that was incorrectly labeled as new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I would scan the receipt and take a screen capture of the of importing the pictures and email that to apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
It's a little late to be looking for any recourse. You should have dealt with this immediately after purchasing the machine, not almost a year after.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Thats really weird, but I doubt you will get anything back from Apple at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think most of you guys missed this:

I'm pretty sure at this stage that she must have imported them by accident off somebody's hard drive, probably when she was moving stuff off her old laptop or something. Cheers for the quick replies by the way!

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
The pictures were dated from 2004? The MacBook's were introduced in 2006 :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.