Kensington lock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I was thinking of investing in a Kensington lock for my MacBook, but man, I'm worried about the [lack of] security of those things...an article in a recent issue of 2600 detailed how easy it is to hack a Kensington combo lock without destroying it. A search on YouTube gives you dozens of videos on how to hack these things -- one as short as 15 seconds because all it was was someone taking a pair of wire cutters and very effortlessly snipping the thing off.

So...IS there a model of Kensington (or similar) lock that's SOMEWHAT secure?? I mean, those locks cost $40, and I would hope that something that costs that much would be somewhat useful....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well I guess it does help, if u have your computer on a desk, then it will prevent some1 from just snatching it and taking a run for it

and lets face it, if u saw someone at your workplace with wirecutters? :D

I have a lock that i got along with my thinkpad at work, but I've never used it so can't really comment on quality :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
YEs I have the same question, can anyone recommend a decent lock? one that is not easy to cut or RIP out of the notebook.
The theives in my area are not clever and sophisitcated so I am not worried about some elaborate operation. Just something that would not it possible to grab and run or cut. Also the theives around here probably don't have wire cutters. (based on my knowledge of local home burglaries)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Targus Defcon CL lock that has served me well. I'm sure it could be cut with a good bolt-cutter, but so can any notebook lock. It will deter a casual thief from grabbing and running with the machine, which is all I'm after. But I certainly wouldn't leave the machine unattended with just a notebook lock (of any description) for extended periods. They ALL have weaknesses, some worse than others.

The only way I've seen the Defcon CL get picked is by using a shim. The process takes at least 5-10 minutes, if you get lucky. But most thieves aren't going to bother, because they need to get in and out quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.