• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Obama's Train Ride and Inauguration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Thoughts?

Personally, I was watching old videos of FDR's first inauguration and it reminded me that with all the cautious skepticism that I have, there is a possibility that he could become a great president. And the same cheering crowds that were out there for FDR are out cheering Obama all the way to Washington.

It just seems so fairytale American politics I can't resist getting excited seeing it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TiBook - 800MHz/1gb/30gb/combo/500gb external
here's a thought, he's just another president. destined be another screwup.

anyone else tired of hearing the constant newsfeeds about him?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i am giddy. maybe too much so.

i do believe he will help get us back on track financially and undo the damage done to our global reputation by past leadership for the last, well, since before i was born in 1970. anything more will be a bonus, but i am hopeful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

You're just a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I really must agree with The Lump.

6th period in school on Tuesday we are watching the inauguration. At least I get to miss art class. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I personally find that unfounded pessimism is rarely productive.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Agreed w/cwa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
constant streaming of the same crap on the tv over and over and over and over and over and over again isnt productive either. all it does is serve to force the ideas into peoples heads that things just might be ok with something different, it is nothing more than a facade.

when 9/11 went down, i was in class. it was a day i was actually trying to pay attention in class. but when the planes hit the tv's came on and we got to hear the same thing over and over and over again the entire day. i told them to shut the f'en things off so i could learn something in school. if i actually gave a crap what happened in ny i could look it up on the internet later.

but yeah, i'm a total ray of sunshine. mostly cause i live in the lower caste of america and understand how things really work in this country. like having to worry about going to jail cause you cant afford to pay child support because there are no freakin jobs cause we lay off 500,000 people every year and still import another 140,000 every month. i pay attention to the crap that actually matters in this country. the crap that noone seems willing to change cause they would rather follow ideals that a new thing proposes but will likely never follow through.

welcome to the divided states of embarrasment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
i pay attention to the crap that actually matters in this country. the crap that noone seems willing to change cause they would rather follow ideals that a new thing proposes but will likely never follow through.

1). you don't know that.

2). I can understand how life must suk with a negative attitude. But I am not going to flame you or call you names because I gave 26 years of my life in order that you could beotch, moan, whine and praise just about anything you care to in America.

3). You always have options... including residence in another country.

Oh and as for the intended topic, God bless Obama. I sure as heck would not want that job. Best of luck - our country depends on it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the government shouldn't let you just slip through the cracks Lump, but they shouldn't have to pay for one actively making the series of poor choices that would normally lead to one needing to pay child support. ideally though they would take care of that kid if necessary.

is it so bad that people have hope, especially people in the middle and lower class who've been getting the short end of the stick for so long?

cheers to swick - thanks for serving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont understand why people think this country is worth fighting for anymore. people think diversity is such a good thing. its not. we used to be a country with structure and well being. now we are a melting pot of illegal crap and constant urban filth.

i started out life positive and upbeat. experiencing how things are for people that dont make 6 figure has made my views change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont understand why people think this country is worth fighting for anymore. people think diversity is such a good thing. its not. we used to be a country with structure and well being. now we are a melting pot of illegal crap and constant urban filth.

i started out life positive and upbeat. experiencing how things are for people that dont make 6 figure has made my views change.

Again - we all have options. Maybe you should consider yours. Good luck with that.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
to Lump...

diversity is not the primary thing this country is about.

also, i'm not sure what time period you're refering to as far as "structure and well being" go. we've had diversity for as long as this country has been one. and there have consistently been challenges. do you think black slaves, or irish or italian immigrants or factory workers during the industrial revolution (especially the kids) thought there was a general sense of well being when they were under the thumb of those who thought everything was fine and dandy?

there is plenty wrong here, and always has been, but there is plenty right too, and there is the possibility of change (otherwise you'd have never seen unions, the new deal, or the bill of rights).

you know that old saying, "i love my country, but i fear my government"? both halves of that saying certainly been more or less true at times - i've got real hope that this administration will get the ratio right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
constant streaming of the same crap on the tv over and over and over and over and over and over again isnt productive either. all it does is serve to force the ideas into peoples heads that things just might be ok with something different, it is nothing more than a facade.

when 9/11 went down, i was in class. it was a day i was actually trying to pay attention in class. but when the planes hit the tv's came on and we got to hear the same thing over and over and over again the entire day. i told them to shut the f'en things off so i could learn something in school. if i actually gave a crap what happened in ny i could look it up on the internet later.

but yeah, i'm a total ray of sunshine. mostly cause i live in the lower caste of america and understand how things really work in this country. like having to worry about going to jail cause you cant afford to pay child support because there are no freakin jobs cause we lay off 500,000 people every year and still import another 140,000 every month. i pay attention to the crap that actually matters in this country. the crap that noone seems willing to change cause they would rather follow ideals that a new thing proposes but will likely never follow through.

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in a way i suppose i envy you people. having such a wonderful perspective on things while never seeing what lurks in the background.

yes, ignorance is bliss, and in some ways, i wish i was one of the ignorant masses.

instead, i'm a well educated man, computers to automotive to construction and beyond, wish a deep understanding of what really makes this country tick rather than being part of the myspace generation that thinks there is no life beyond cell phones, branjelina, and starbucks.

instead of hailing obama as the new best thing, just cause he's the first black president and is coming in with promises, how about waiting a couple years to see if he's even making good before we start issuing commemorative coins and the like. i dont know about you, but if he turns out worse than bush i sure wouldnt wanna be known as someone that supported him and bought crap like commemorative coins....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you just seem to really see things as black or white. one has to be well educated or one has to be part of the unwashed masses... it's just very narrow thinking. being cynical does not automatically mean having some grand perspective. sometimes it means being blind to the gray areas, the good things in life, and possibilities.

i'm not wealthy by any stretch, life hasn't been easy, but not incredibly hard, and i learned a long time ago that most of my negative feelings came from within myself (and from clinical depression).

what does crushing cynicism get you?
what does a lack of hope do for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Lump-

Just because our country isn't perfect doesn't mean everything is going to suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am listening to some young black kid on radio 4 talk about Obama

He seems full of hope and now believes that young kids like him can aspire to become leaders, at least a better role model then your average rap artist, all talk about money, *****es and hating cops

I know I am not American, but I really believe that Obama is an intelligent guy, no egotist and cannot possibly do as bad as that frat boy Bush and his friends

OK, we'll all wait and see, but I hope he can do a good job, not least because I don't want to see the whole world economy getting even worse and finding myself on the street

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I agree. It's like the news story that won't go away. The press is so in love with him it's pathetic.

As for him being a screwup, well, everyone gets a chance. As I recall Reagan got the same reception when he was inaugurated. In fact, this reminds me a lot of his 1981 inauguration as far as peoples optimism goes. I'm optimistic about him and the publics support is his lose at this point.

I am listening to some young black kid on radio 4 talk about Obama

He seems full of hope and now believes that young kids like him can aspire to become leaders, at least a better role model then your average rap artist, all talk about money, *****es and hating cops

I know I am not American, but I really believe that Obama is an intelligent guy, no egotist and cannot possibly do as bad as that frat boy Bush and his friends

OK, we'll all wait and see, but I hope he can do a good job, not least because I don't want to see the whole world economy getting even worse and finding myself on the street

He already proved to be an egotist during the campaign and it is likely to rear it's head again. He's going to bump heads with Congress since they are a bunch of egotists, especially the leadership. The world economy is going to get worse for the next several years no matter what Obama does. There is no quick fix or quick turn around. We'll see what happens in the next 4 years, as I said, public support is his to lose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.