• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Obama's Train Ride and Inauguration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Don't blame me...

I voted for Kodos.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good thing then that i have a wooden board with a nail in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I wish him well. For my part, I'm going to pay closer attention to the House and Senate and be more diligent with my mid term votes. IMHO, our elected Legislators have more to do with what happens next than the President. I'm glad he was elected so we can get past the first black President thing and vote for who does the job best (or at least who promises to be all things to everyone) -vs- what demographic they are perceived as being. That said, let's get started on that wall along the US-Mexican border.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wall?

how about more bridges and resident worker cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TiBook - 800MHz/1gb/30gb/combo/500gb external
LOL thats funny eric :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wall?

how about more bridges and resident worker cards?

Nah, enough folks here as it is. They can stay and fix Mexico, then maybe we will all want to go there? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
It's kind of disappointing that he is always referred to as our first black president when he is in fact a biracial american, who happened to be raised entirely by his white mother and white grandparents. I personally think its reverse racism the way the media and half of America have jumped on the race wagon.

But then things tend to be a little different for my generation. I grew up going to school and being friends with people of all races, and it was just part of normal life. We never experienced the days of segregation and therefore I don't identify with such movements. People ought to be judged by their character and credentials, not their color, but I guess that didn't hold true in the last election.

I do think its ridiculous how much this inauguration is costing the taxpayers, and I have a big problem paying for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nah, enough folks here as it is. They can stay and fix Mexico, then maybe we will all want to go there? :)

Not surprisingly, with the economic downturn the flow has mostly changed directions. There are actually more going back than there are coming. If this keeps up we'll have a negative gain in a few years! :)

IPeople ought to be judged by their character and credentials, not their color, but I guess that didn't hold true in the last election.

Her is an interesting anecdote to illustrate this. I spent 2 weeks in Atlanta on business in December. Whenever I went to a restaurant that was black owned or black operated (this goes for convenience stores as well) they all had a picture of the The Brother Elect with the words "The President of the United States" beneath him and a halo over his head. I'm not even kidding. Those things were all over the city.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Haha, the Brother Elect. That's clever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Soon to be "The First Brother".

I loled.

I mean, its not really big deal that people think so highly of him. So young black people now have somebody to look up to? Not a bad thing. And it is far from just black Americans that are celebrating. A full 80% of Americans think he is doing a good job so far.

Renewing America | The Economist

I understand pessimism, but it is not just stupid people that believe he will do a good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I am hopeful, he is no Ron Paul but he really has inspired my generation. Being that we are the ones who run things in a couple of years, I think there is hope.

If anything I am hopeful because he will be getting rid of Gitmo and allowing stem-cell stuff.

I think another reason there is so much hope is...well...look at the past 8 years, I read something the other day that said that Bush's approval rating at the end of his 8 years is like 22%. Now you can say that approval rating means nothing when it is 30-40% but, 22% is crazy low. Bush and his cronies messed up a lot of things that Obama has said he will fix, as a result, I am hopeful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bush and his cronies messed up a lot of things that Obama has said he will fix, as a result, I am hopeful.

And yet somehow the guy managed to get elected, twice. These are, for the most part, the same people who put Obama in office. If you think so lowly of Bush you have to question the ability of the voters to choose anything. Why is 22% worse than 40%? To be frank, anything less that 50% should be a sign.

Will he "fix" the problems or will he discover that the most prudent course of action lies elsewhere? Probably a mix of both. Just because you or I don't like a decision the president has made doesn't mean it's not the right one for the country in the long run. Every President makes their share of mistakes and Obama will made his too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am hopeful, he is no Ron Paul but he really has inspired my generation. Being that we are the ones who run things in a couple of years, I think there is hope.

Yea, I'm really glad he won. I'm definitely considering applying for a government job after I get out of law school, something I would not have considered had McCain won. If I get the job I'll be able to say years from now that I got to work within the Obama administration. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
People ought to be judged by their character and credentials, not their color

You almost paraphrased Martin Luther King there

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
And yet somehow the guy managed to get elected, twice. These are, for the most part, the same people who put Obama in office. If you think so lowly of Bush you have to question the ability of the voters to choose anything. Why is 22% worse than 40%? To be frank, anything less that 50% should be a sign.

I think that Bush got elected but made bad on his promises. This is obvious to me by McCain's distancing from Bush in the election and also the inevitable defeat of the GOP this election.

22% is worse that 40% because if you figure that half of his popularity is GOP, well 22 is less than half of that! I know I am not really reading these numbers right, but a conclusion I could draw is that if 50% of america was GOP and only 22% like him now, that is less than half of his own party!

Yeah, the people who put Bush into office and Obama into office were different people. There was a much larger group of 18-25 who voted for Obama and though I am not crediting one age group with putting him into office, it certainly was huge in him getting there, and those are not the same people.

Look at the states that put Bush into power, many of them when to Obama...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The same people elected them both: the American people. The elected position, POTUS in this case, is only as useful as the level of expectation and accountability we people place on the person in the elected position. If you think your job is over once you leave the ballot booth, you already have lost your elected official. You may as well go back to sleep for another 4 years and vote for change all over again. The President isn't as important as how closely the people hold the President responsible for doing what was promised. Just MHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the people who put Bush into office and Obama into office were different people. There was a much larger group of 18-25 who voted for Obama and though I am not crediting one age group with putting him into office, it certainly was huge in him getting there, and those are not the same people.

You missed my point. The people who put both Bush and Obama into office were overwhelmingly the same people. Demographically the 08 election had only a 17% increase in new/young voters (18-25) over the 04 election, so the impact of the "younger" vote was minimal at best. The fact is the same middle of the road group who put Bush in office twice voted for Obama this time. What does this say about the American Voter? The electorate didn't experience a demographically large change in 4 years, but it's mood certainly changed.

The same people elected them both: the American people. The elected position, POTUS in this case, is only as useful as the level of expectation and accountability we people place on the person in the elected position. If you think your job is over once you leave the ballot booth, you already have lost your elected official. You may as well go back to sleep for another 4 years and vote for change all over again. The President isn't as important as how closely the people hold the President responsible for doing what was promised. Just MHO.

Excellent post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bush won by a slim margin in 2000 because there was simply no difference between him and Gore, so people picked the more personable candidate. Then he won in 2004 because a war President is almost never voted out, not to mention Kerry was possibly the worst Democratic candidate of all time.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
baggss, if out of 100 people, only 10 people like ice cream, and if given the choice, 5 of them like vanilla and 5 like chocolate, then if given the choice between chocolate and strawberry all the chocolate people still like chocolate, but they gain one from the old vanilla camp, making it chocolate 6, strawberry 4, then you could say generically "it's all the same people voting (all 10 of them), but technically you still have a split camp. you may have a few people falling erratically to either side, but you know as well as i that a large number of people who regularly vote fall pretty firmly on one side or the other.
this makes the 20% vs 40% approval rating pretty significant, since skye's point about starting with about 50% is pretty close to accurate since most liberals will write jr off without even thinking about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.