Strange Microsoft/MSN Messenger connection problems

Reaction score
I'm having a bizzare issue with my iMac. About a week ago, I was connecting fine to all microsoft services. I was using Adium to chat with friends on messenger, and could sign in and check email via hotmail.

Suddenly, with no change to the mac (that I'm aware of,) I can't connect to any of these services anymore. The problem extends beyond adium. I cannot connect to hotmail, or login.live.com either. I just get network timeouts. All other websites are fine.

It doesn't seem to been caused by my router, or dns, as my girlfriends macbook is setup on the same wireless router, with the same dns, (OpenDNS,) and she can connect fine.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not a DNS issue: when I enter hotmail.com, it resolves partially, and sends me to login.live.com. Just the same, I've already flushed the dns cache, with no effect.

Things were even stranger with I thought to try a web-based proxy, (free-proxy.ca) to connect to hotmail, with success.

So I've ruled out dns connection settings, software issues (as I can't connect with any msn client, or with web messenger in firefox or safari.) I thought it could be ports that were somehow closed, I DMZ'd my computer on my router, opening all port traffic to/from it. I've also ensured the firewall is turned off... Even tried internet sharing through my girlfriends computer via ethernet.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? This seems really strange, and I couldn't find anything relevant on google for this at all.

Reaction score
RE: Strange Microsoft connection problems

I'm guessing you might have fixed this now, but if not it's probably down to your router's MTU setting. Some are set to 1500, which won't work on certain sites (such as Hotmail) - it needs to be 1492.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.