Emac OSX and Retail version OSX

J

Jucawho

I have a powerbook pismo and I've been wanting to upgrade it to osx...so I tried installing the from the cds that came on my G5...hte laptop doesn't even recognize them ! So I took a look at ebay and there's a lot of people selling osx installing disks! Now...would the Emac osx version install on my powerbook g3 pismo just like the universal installer (retail version) would??? Thanx so much

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know for sure, but I would get the retail copy. Then you know it will install.

OP
B

Badger

The OS X disks that are issued for specific models will not install on other models. Get the retail version. It may cost more but you'll save yourself a lot of frustration. However, before you shell out the $$$ for OS X you might want to check how much memory and hard drive space you have available. OS X needs a minimum of 128 mgs of RAM and a lot of HD space. Since the Pismo is a G3 it may end up costing more than you wish to spend on an older model like that.

OP
J

Jucawho

Thank Y'all for your help...I think I 'm just gonna go with the retail version then!!! I have 640MB of ram on my pismo and I have a 30GB hard drive do you think it will work fine with osx???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually doesn't the G5 come with OS X on a DVD not a CD?

Probably the pismo just can't read dvds?

If that's the problem you might be able to take the salient contents of the dvd and pack it onto a cd and try using that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Badger said:
The OS X disks that are issued for specific models will not install on other models.

That's not necessarily true. I was able to install Jaguar without any problems on my Beige G3 AIO using my iBook's original software CD's (after upgrading the iBook to Panther).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Aptmunich said:
Actually doesn't the G5 come with OS X on a DVD not a CD?

Probably the pismo just can't read dvds?

Not being very familiar with the Pismo, this was the first thing I thought of too. However, after checking out the specs at Apple-History.com, it appears the machine does indeed have a DVD-ROM drive.

OP
B

Badger

Jucawho said:
Thank Y'all for your help...I think I 'm just gonna go with the retail version then!!! I have 640MB of ram on my pismo and I have a 30GB hard drive do you think it will work fine with osx???

With that much RAM and disk space you shouldn't have a problem. You can do a minimal OS X install which will take about a gig or you can do a standard install for about 3.5 gigs. A G3 will be slower than newer models but it should still perform well and the stability of X offsets any performance issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.