anyone help???

Reaction score
heyy
total newbie my neighbour gave me an old imac no keyboard came with it and i have os x 10.3 (supported by machine) and it won't install... says i can hold in c or use startup disk i do nothing click the install mac os x button and it says to start installing click the restart button. nothinghappens boots back up into 9.2.2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's a supported Panther install disk for your iMac it should work. When you boot the machine with the Panther disk, you should select Disk Utility. You may have to erase the current operating system first. I'm not sure you can upgrade from 9.2.2 directly to Panther without doing a clean install.

If you don't mind chancing the loss of 9.2.2 you can try that. Select erase, then format the drive to HFS+, name it Macintosh HD and then install the operating system and applications that came with it.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah haha sadly it's a downloaded copy of panther i just got the imac and only willing to buy a keyboard for it if i can get os x on it.... i can't find where to format and the startup disk utility thing doesn't work just keeps booting in 9.2.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up have you checked to see if the firmware needs updating under OS 9.2 prior to trying to load OS X? Firmware must be 4.1.9 and here is where you download it:-

iMac (Slot Loading): Install iMac Firmware 4.1.9 Before Mac OS X 10.2 or later

Downloaded OS are pirated. Do not try with that as it will not work and could do serious damage. You need the bootable CD/DVD version which is a black coloured full retail install disc and you can spend money and buy these at auction sites like eBay, or through sale and swap section of Mac Forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.