40gb but only 2000 songs?

D

darkanddivine

Hi there, i recently just bought myself the 40g 4th gen i-pod and began uploading music. all seems fine with the ipod uploading is fine and the unit works. however i have a strange problem.

everytime i load in a set of songs (last example of my uploads 322 songs 1.05 gig)
i have done this for every set of songs i have uploaded, all at the standard 128kbps ripped from a cd and then dragged into my ipod. now this is the part i dont understand.

when i click open i-tunes and double click the ipod and it opens up the standard window. at the bottom it dispays the used and free parameter, and the songs/days/gb. these 2 dont add up.

the 1st parameter is suggesting i have used 27.46 gig and only have 9.69 gig left, however i only have 1445 songs on there that can't be right? at the bottom it dispays 1445 songs 3.8 days 4.98 gig. so going off that i'd assume i had roughly 30 gig remaining on the i-pod.

can anyone tell me if this is an i-pod problem or something i may have done that could have caused this?

OP
J

Jason

I have 1,468 songs on my 40GB 3rd gen and it says I have 30.7GB left. That's pretty bizarre! How long are the tracks though? Do you have audio books or anything like that? That would make a huge difference.

OP
J

jbsengineer

darkanddivine said:
Hi there, i recently just bought myself the 40g 4th gen i-pod and began uploading music. all seems fine with the ipod uploading is fine and the unit works. however i have a strange problem.

everytime i load in a set of songs (last example of my uploads 322 songs 1.05 gig)
i have done this for every set of songs i have uploaded, all at the standard 128kbps ripped from a cd and then dragged into my ipod. now this is the part i dont understand.

when i click open i-tunes and double click the ipod and it opens up the standard window. at the bottom it dispays the used and free parameter, and the songs/days/gb. these 2 dont add up.

the 1st parameter is suggesting i have used 27.46 gig and only have 9.69 gig left, however i only have 1445 songs on there that can't be right? at the bottom it dispays 1445 songs 3.8 days 4.98 gig. so going off that i'd assume i had roughly 30 gig remaining on the i-pod.

can anyone tell me if this is an i-pod problem or something i may have done that could have caused this?

make sure all the songs are either mp3 or ACC format. you may have accidently ripped some in Apple Lossless that would have taken up ALOT of space for each song. possibly, :)... You can check them by going to the "Library" hit COMMAND + J for the "View Options" then select "KIND". Then go to back to the "Library" click on the "Kind" Label on the top so everything will sort. Then you can scroll and see what formats your using...

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

cheers for the quick reply guys, erm i went into the library and they are all in "AAC audio file" format, at 128kbps

and to jason no, the vast majority are just standard songs so a 4 minute song is 3.9meg. theres a couple of long tracks but nothing over the top and no audio books.

OP
J

jbsengineer

did something get saved on the ipod by mistake??? are there any files in the root of the directory on it?

this is puzzling..., :). when your in the ipod directory. find out how big the ipod_control folder is. if it's huge i would open it and track down the source folder that's bloating it. it's hidden btw....

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

that sounds a bit complex. how can i check the root directory? if i plug the pod in and then open it from i tunes can i see it there?

OP
J

jbsengineer

not through itunes itself. the ipod should pop up on the desktop. should be able to open it up and view files. go to the FINDER drop down menu and in the PREFERENCES make sure that CDs, DVDs, and iPods is selected to show on desktop.

the ipod_control may or may not be hidden. if it's not it there then it is. i honestly forget how to view the hidden files. anybody care to help out on that??? still learning os x myself.

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

sorry i might add i am using windows that might not help you with certain things.

this is indeed a big puzzle. but it is very strange that 30 gig is used when theres only 5 of music. ill try and get a screengrab to show you what i mean.

OP
J

jbsengineer

darkanddivine said:
sorry i might add i am using windows that might not help you with certain things.

this is indeed a big puzzle. but it is very strange that 30 gig is used when theres only 5 of music. ill try and get a screengrab to show you what i mean.

that actually helps me out. cause i'm a windows expert, :). when you plug the ipod in it is coming up as an REMOVABLE DEVICE in your MY COMPUTER. So go in there after the ipod is plugged it. and open up your ipod. The name of the drive should be your iPod's name. like John's iPod. Once opened go to the Tools menu and then "Folder Options". Click the "View" tab then "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Press OK. You should now see the "ipod_control" folder in the iPod's directory. Right-click on that and go to properties. What is the size of it and how many files are in it????

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

Thanks once again, i did what you said, and the ipod control file is 5.02 gig, 1454 files

OP
J

jbsengineer

darkanddivine said:
Thanks once again, i did what you said, and the ipod control file is 5.02 gig, 1454 files

that is normal then.... what is in the ipod directory along with ipod_control?

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

Basicly a load of jumbled folder names which have either very little or nothing in content in them and a few random files Such as Contacts etc.. Other than that i can see nothing. On the properties tab it says that the device is 75% full as well. Very very strange.

OP
J

jbsengineer

darkanddivine said:
Basicly a load of jumbled folder names which have either very little or nothing in content in them and a few random files Such as Contacts etc.. Other than that i can see nothing. On the properties tab it says that the device is 75% full as well. Very very strange.

can you take a screenshot of them and post??? i would like to see if i can identify what's not supposed to be there.

if you are in the window click "ALT" + "PRINT SCREEN". This will take a snapshot of just that window. Then you can paste it in PAINT. Then save it and attatch it in here using the PICTURE button above. There is something in the directory hogging or reporting to windows of the drive being almost full. Your music folder seems fine.

Josh

OP
J

jbsengineer

jumbled folder names should not be there. if it's a name like 754b234b2c32fe23 or something. windows may have created a temp directory on it for installs or something....

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

untitled.bmp

hmmm thats a bit small.

OP
J

jbsengineer

darkanddivine said:
untitled.bmp

hmmm thats a bit small.

oh my god...if that is your ipod directory it's really screwed up. there should only be a few folders. want to email the pick to me? to small to read the folders... email [email protected] with it...

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

jbsengineer said:
oh my god...if that is your ipod directory it's really screwed up. there should only be a few folders. want to email the pick to me? to small to read the folders... email [email protected] with it...

Josh

just mailed you

OP
J

jbsengineer

haha...this is ridiculous. Something really got your iPod good. Is your computer up to date with MS updates and Antivirus? Wow...

Anyway you want to delete all the folder that aren't legite. all of the wierd character folders are bogus. delete them if you can. the real folders are in english. the main one being ipod_control. Luckily that is normal. Cotacts and Calendarts are also good. Delete all that other crap... Notes is good to. Anything in english is good!!

Let me know how you make out. Very strange. Something infected it...

Josh

OP
D

darkanddivine

jbsengineer said:
haha...this is ridiculous. Something really got your iPod good. Is your computer up to date with MS updates and Antivirus? Wow...

Anyway you want to delete all the folder that aren't legite. all of the wierd character folders are bogus. delete them if you can. the real folders are in english. the main one being ipod_control. Luckily that is normal. Cotacts and Calendarts are also good. Delete all that other crap... Notes is good to. Anything in english is good!!

Let me know how you make out. Very strange. Something infected it...

Josh

Yeah everything is up to date and protecting my computer, that is really bad. Being early days i think im going to re-format the pod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.