Logic Board Failure

Reaction score
I recently picked up an 800 mhz Ibook G3 from an online dealer called hamerheadtech. I absolutely love this computer! How do I prevent logic board failure? I try to never use it for more than an hour without out a fan. I never set it on a desk, I set it on a an old vented aquarium top. It gives it like 3 inches of clearance above the desktop. Is logic board failure imminent for G3s? I just want this laptop to live for another year or two. It is mostly a "foot in the door" since my parents don't like macs. I want to get an intel macbook when I go off to college. I did not expect this laptop to be more than a proof of concept to my parents but it actually beats out my Acer 2 ghz, 3.5 gb ram running XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I don't think a G3 will ever beat a modern 2 Ghz processor, especially with that much RAM. G3 iBooks are only upgradeable to 640 MB. As for the logic board, just use it as normal. I have a G3 iBook from 2001 which has never seen any special treatment. It was never shut down from 2001 until 2005 when I replaced it. I used it on my lap, left it on the coffee table, used it on my desk, in the car, underwater. Never had a single problem.. and it still runs great. I don't think you have to worry about logic board failure unless you damage it in some way by dropping it, spilling beer on it.. It won't happen from normal use.

OP
I
Reaction score
Are you sure?

I have heard people say quote "Logic board failure is an absolute truth."? What Ibook do you have? ClamshellsMy mac still beats my pc on common tasks such as word. My pc is obviously better for games though. It has been running like 5 years straight without repairing the registry or reinstalling xp. I have really cleaned it off but it still is less fast and less stable than my ibook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're referring to the operating system when you speak about stability. Of course OS X is more stable than Windows anything. Hardware wise though, your Acer is a fast machine.

And, don't believe what you heard about Logic Board failure.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
I guess the logic board rumors were the result of hotheads...

I'd be really ****** if I had to replace logic boards so I can understand wanting to make a big deal about it. Hopefully the logic board failure thing affects less than 25% of White Ibook G3s. I really love my Ibook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
FAR less than 25%. I remember reading something about this a while ago, and the actual figure for critical failure (in cases where the laptop was NOT dropped or suffered liquid damage) was less than 1%. This is out of all iBook G3 models sold from 2001 to 2003.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
When do you get to enjoy your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
FAR less than 25%. I remember reading something about this a while ago, and the actual figure for critical failure (in cases where the laptop was NOT dropped or suffered liquid damage) was less than 1%. This is out of all iBook G3 models sold from 2001 to 2003.

I think it is quite a bit more than 1%. So far I have 2 iBooks that have had the problem. One has had the logic board repaired, the other was given to me recently (I have since gutted out the useful parts).
I know of many other people who have had problems with the G3 iBooks.

OP
I
Reaction score
Mixed opinions?

I don't think many clamshell Ibooks get logic board failure, only white 500 mhz+ Ibooks go whack. Whether or not logic board failure happens is not the issue, the issue is how to prevent it if possible.

Reaction score
I have got the same G3 800 mhz with same problem ... first I fixed this problem when I put alu shirm between GPU and alu shield ... this fixed my problem for some time, but I wanted permanent fix ... I tryed this " approval metod " with heating gpu with heat gun ... but this KILLED MY GPU 4 ever :(( ... my advice is .. fix it with first advance, or leve laptop in special servis, that hawe pro tools for owerflow action

OP
I
Reaction score
All I want to know is how to prevent it. What causes it to happen? Would keeping it ridiculously cool with a fan work. Is it the heating up or the fluctuating temp the problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.