Another played out question!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
Hey guys I have seen this question posted many of times. I tried to locate the answer but had no luck. Anyways here it goes. I have a PowerMac G4 and I was thinking about purchasing another internal drive. I read somwhere that this particular Mac will only take a 120 gig hard drive. I wanted to add another 200 gigs for movied editing. Is this true with the Mac and if it is is there a way around it?????????

B

Badger

Some of the G4 models are limited to 128 gb hard disks because of limitations in the ATA controller chip that was used. However, you can get a pci slot ATA card that will allow you to ignore that limit (for disks that are connected to it). If you can put the disk in an external drive (or a newer Mac), you can partition it into volumes of less than 128 gbs each and then move it into the G4. It will show up as separate HDs on the desktop but you'll have full use of the space. To see if your G4 is affected by the 128 gb limit go to a site like www.everymac.com or www.lowendmac.com.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
Badger said:
Some of the G4 models are limited to 128 gb hard disks because of limitations in the ATA controller chip that was used. However, you can get a pci slot ATA card that will allow you to ignore that limit (for disks that are connected to it). If you can put the disk in an external drive (or a newer Mac), you can partition it into volumes of less than 128 gbs each and then move it into the G4. It will show up as separate HDs on the desktop but you'll have full use of the space. To see if your G4 is affected by the 128 gb limit go to a site like www.everymac.com or www.lowendmac.com.
Hey thanks for the input!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.