Setting up NAS to delete time machine backups?

Reaction score
I just configured my NAS to work with time machine and I was reading that it will just keep creating backups, I was wondering if there is a way for me to configure something so that say every week some of the back ups from the nas will be automatically deleted so I don't have as much taking up space, any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Time Machine deletes backups on its own. At first it will do hourly backups. Over time it will consolidate those hourly backups into daily backups, and eventually those daily backups will become weekly backups. Not sure if it becomes monthly backups over time, but the point is that you don't have to worry about deleting the backups on your own.

You can also configure it to backup less frequently at the outset if you would like. Last I checked it took a simple Terminal command, not sure if that's changed in the past couple of months.

OP
Q
Reaction score
why not just partition the NAS to whatever amount of space you feel necessary.

Thats not a bad idea, but I think at this point I may not be able to. I set the file size to only 97gigs, wondering if it will just only always go to 97gb or not or if it will keep going.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.