USB flashdrive & Disk Utility problem

Reaction score
I have two USB flashdrives, one older 1GB Lexar JumpDrive and 1 2GB Kingston that I bought a few months ago. Both have their files backed up.
I have three macs set up: a Macbook and iMac both running Leopard and an older iMac running Panther.

I last used the Kingston about two weeks ago to move some backed up files onto my Macbook that had a hd replaced. Now neither flashdrive will work on any of the computers. The Lexar prompts an error message saying it cannot be read and although I can see it in Disk Utility, errors come up with any sort of action (verify, repair, erase, etc). The Kingston - that recently worked in Leopard - now only flashes a green light and cannot be viewed anywhere.

Because of all the variables I'm not sure where the problem is. They're just flashdrives so I can buy a new one but I'd like to know what happened so I can prevent it...

Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Were the drives ejected properly before removal? That's the standard question in regard to devices removed from USB ports. Can you test the drives in a computer other than the ones you have? One other thing to try - and it's a wildcard - is to shut your computer(s) down with the flash drives still inserted. Then remove the f-drives, reboot the computer(s) and reinsert the f-drive(s).
I've had to discard a flash drive because I pulled it in haste, and then plugged it back in again. Bad move, something got zapped. The drive was useless thereafter, on either Mac or Win computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.