Parallel is driving me nuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" OSX 10.5.4 Leopard: 4gb/500gb
First time i installed it was perfect, the internet and shared folders with the mac folders and content.

Then the internet got disconnected, for an unnamed reason. Tried system restore in case my sis might have done something. still doesnt work.

So i reinstalled parallel and created a new windows virtual machine.

this time the internet is connected, but i still dont have shared folders with the mac. the (Z: \psf), something of the like.

In the parallel config's
Shared Profile is Enabled, and every check box inside
Shared Folders, Sharing Mac OS X folders with windows; Home Folder Only, including user-defined Mac OS X folders (my documents)

but I do not recall touching any of the configurations when i first installed parallel.

i'm on parallel 4.0, 10.5.4 Leopard.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You mean Parallels? ;)

Make sure you've installed Parallels Tools (which should happen automatically prior to your Windows installation, but not always...). Parallels Tools enables the sharing capabilities (regardless of whether it's turned on in the virtual machine settings).

OP
Andy & Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool thanks, Can you explain why it reboots all of a sudden on its own?

I think it does it because of a "serious error", but i never had this problem on my actual PC, using the same windows disc too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool thanks, Can you explain why it reboots all of a sudden on its own?

I think it does it because of a "serious error", but i never had this problem on my actual PC, using the same windows disc too.

What kind of Windows disc is it?

OP
Andy & Apple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDG Windows XP Home Edition SP1.

on top of that, I was able to play this one game i had , now that i made a new windows image, when i fil to start the game because of an outdated 3d Video card driver.
Yes i know there's this enable 3d acceleration feature in the configuration menu but i had never touched it. that was already enabled by default. I don't know how i can solve this problem as i never had this problem before.

the game isn't even a full 3d anyway its like 2d all over.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the MDG stand for?

It really doesn't matter if the game has what appears to be 3D graphics - if it needs DirectX9, it's not fully implemented in Parallels. Your best bet would be to go with Boot Camp. Of course, Boot Camp has more strenuous requirements in terms of what kind of disc you can use - and just based on the fact that you're telling me that you're using a previously used copy of Windows XP, I'm guessing you'd need to buy another copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.