• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Question about facebook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Hi was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to make sure my Facebook account doesn't show up in google searches. I just don't feel safe with people being able to search my name and see my profile.....

Thanks!

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already knew about that page... but what am i supposed to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.2GHz 160GB
I dont know exactly...but I would think the best way to protect yourself would be to make all privacy on the most strict setting.

Hope that helps,
Dave

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
afaik, if you tighten up the privacy settings, even if something were linked directly to your page, you would have to friend that person for them to see anything on your profile.

Reaction score
dont remember exactly where but there is a button that says something along the lines of allowing public searches to show you. ie. google, yahoo etc.... just uncheck that and save. good luck!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
here you go:

Public Search Listing
Use this setting to control whether your search result is available outside of Facebook.

Create a public search listing for me and submit it for search engine indexing (see preview)

it can be unselected.

you can also choose how internal facebook members are allowed to search for you.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I did what you said, eric, but it still shows up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.