HP scanner doesn't work

Reaction score
I have been given (a neighbour was literally throwing it out) an HP Scanjet 3570c scanner but it is terrifically temperamental. Occasionally it works but most of the time not. Sometimes it makes the right noises but the software doesn't launch so no image comes up. If I go into the HP Scan Pro software and launch it myself I get a message saying a necessary program is missing or corrupted. If I press New Scan it says preparing to scan but nothing happens. How can I make sure I have all the right software and that it is uncorrupted. I just updated the software but that hasn't done any good... I have Mac OS10.3.9.

Many thanks,

Michael, London, UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Okay, two thoughts:

1) (I'm a bit confused...you said you updated the software, but you want to make sure you have all the right software....could you clarify??) If I'm looking in the right place, I'm finding that you might need at least OSX 10.4 to get the scanner working, and

2) Perhaps there's a reason your neighbour threw it out. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.