High-Pitched Horror

S

SuperNova

Hello again,

My iMac G5 makes a high pitched noise. I doubt it's a fan, because the fans are a low hum or whirring (which can be quite soothing ;)), but this sounds like... you know when a TV is about to die? It's sort of like that, but a screech.

In December, I had chatted with Apple via the support section of thier site and a technician had told me that I probably had a faulty power supply. I brought it in to be fixed, but the guys at the store told me it was the logic board and/or mid-plane, so they changed that instead and left the power supply intact.

I got it back yesterday (and almost shed a tear because they have had it for almost three weeks now, because I also was blessed with a busted superdrive...) and, after happily plugging it in, i noticed... that it STILL SCREECHES.

The noise seems to change depending on what my screen is displaying... If I adjust the brightness it varies, if my screen goes to sleep it's less high pitched... even if I display a white blank page in Word it seems to squeek at a higher frequency.

Does anyone out there have a lemon of a G5 too? What could the problem be? Sure I could live with it, but I feel the sound is slowly destroying brain cells. :(

Thanks in advance
Nova

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
SuperNova said:
Hello again,

My iMac G5 makes a high pitched noise. I doubt it's a fan, because the fans are a low hum or whirring (which can be quite soothing ;)), but this sounds like... you know when a TV is about to die? It's sort of like that, but a screech.

In December, I had chatted with Apple via the support section of thier site and a technician had told me that I probably had a faulty power supply. I brought it in to be fixed, but the guys at the store told me it was the logic board and/or mid-plane, so they changed that instead and left the power supply intact.

I got it back yesterday (and almost shed a tear because they have had it for almost three weeks now, because I also was blessed with a busted superdrive...) and, after happily plugging it in, i noticed... that it STILL SCREECHES.

The noise seems to change depending on what my screen is displaying... If I adjust the brightness it varies, if my screen goes to sleep it's less high pitched... even if I display a white blank page in Word it seems to squeek at a higher frequency.

Does anyone out there have a lemon of a G5 too? What could the problem be? Sure I could live with it, but I feel the sound is slowly destroying brain cells. :(

Thanks in advance
Nova

Could be either the PSU or the Screen. The lovely glow on your screen is created by highish voltages and fancy bulbs so either the screen is loading the PSU and causing it to screech in pain or somewhere there may be an insulation breakdown.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
ide get a return on it man or exchange or fix.

ur computer def should not screech.

my guess is its power some where conflicting with something else, because it changes with the different screen colors and deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah definitely have it fixed.. my iMac G5 does no such thing and I would definitely not like it if it made that screeching sound!

OP
J

JeremyM

Too much money and machine to be fooling with. Get it back to Apple ASAP. You have a 1 year apple care on it no matter what.

OP
C

Cloudane

Sounds like a power supply fault to me, I've had similar with PCs. See if they'll exchange it, on the grounds that it'd be cheaper for them than trying to fix :)

OP
S

SuperNova

Update:

Not only do I still have to endure the high-pitched sound, but since my iMac innards have been changed, it freezes (!), there is one dead pixel on my screen *sniff* and my sound unexpectedly stops. I have to futz around with the volume keys to get it working again.

I have named this computer Lemonade and I think the term fits it like a glove.

I was supposed to bring it in this week to get it re-fixed for a third time and/or exchanged... but the store I called said that there are no more parts available (they want to change the logic board... again... and it's not even the same repair store). Not only that, but if the good folks at Apple finally admit that my Lemonade is a dud and are willing to exchange it, well, it seems that there are no more iMacs either. Everything is out of stock for at least a month *fumes*.

But let's look at the positive. I have a computer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.