Retrive old Data

Reaction score
I have a 24" iMac that needs a new Hard Drive. The computer will not boot up. I was able to start the computer with the Apple Disk and tried to reinstall the OS but it will do it. I want to take it in and have a new hard drive installed. My question is how to get the data off the hard drive (if I can)? Can I take the old hard drive, which I was told was a SATA drive, and put it in my PC as a slave and get the data off it that way? Can I connect my iMac to another iMac to get the data off it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Retrieving data from your old hard drive may or may not be possible depending on the condition of the drive. Can you read the drive at all?
What does Disk Utility say when you try to verify the drive? (Boot from your install media and run Disk Utility, Verify.)

If the drive can't be mounted and\or can't be read at all, then placing it in an external case is a waste of time. Same thing for attaching your Mac to another Mac and booting in Target mode. It won't work.

It's possible data can be retrieved by using third party software (which is fairly expensive) but not a guaranty. Professional data recovery is very expensive and is usually only used in the event the data is critical.

Here's a link to Data Rescue II which IMO is one of the best software solutions to recovering data. It may work for you or it may not.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.