Spotlight problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 8,1 C2D 2.66
Got a new iMac few days ago and after everything is configured and all my data transfered to the new machine i noticed one thing on spotlight.

Some apps like the ones in the utilities folder only show on spotlight after i use them once. Like disk utility, since i got the imac i didnt opened the app and searching for it on spotlight it didnt show. Only after i open disk utility then it will show on the search results.

Is there a bug or problem with spotlight? May i need to reindex the volume? Im using the preloaded leopard that came with the imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Got a new iMac few days ago and after everything is configured and all my data transfered to the new machine i noticed one thing on spotlight.

Some apps like the ones in the utilities folder only show on spotlight after i use them once. Like disk utility, since i got the imac i didnt opened the app and searching for it on spotlight it didnt show. Only after i open disk utility then it will show on the search results.

Is there a bug or problem with spotlight? May i need to reindex the volume? Im using the preloaded leopard that came with the imac.

I've had something similar on 2.66 iMac, re-index your drive and it should fix it. It was to the point that even when I installed a new app, when I would open my apps folder from the dock with the quick view the app showed up as the pencil compass icon with a circle cross through it like it wasn't really there, after I opened it, it would show up fine. I used OnyX to re-index and all was well.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 8,1 C2D 2.66
Solved!

It needed reindexing. Putted the main volume on privacy at the spotlight prefs. Restart. Removed volume from privacy. Restart. Spotlight started indexing the drive and all now appears when searching.

Is this normal at a new stock install? I think im going to reinstall the system this weekend from the DVDs because in 5 days i had some lockups/crashes. Even when i turned on the imac from the first time it freezed at the setup screens (configuring airport).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.