Operating system administrator password

Reaction score
My problem is relatively simple to solve normally, but my conditions are quite extraordinary i suppose. I have 10.4 tiger operating system on it with access only to one of the accounts created with the user status as the "restricted" or one that has lessened controls. That being said, I forgot the password and administrator name of the computer. On top of that, my CD drive doesn't work so re-installing the software or using the CD drive is out as well as a remedy. Hopefully someone out there knows how to reset an adminstrator password using these restricted settings without use of the CD drive. I suppose if all else fails an usb cd drive would have to do, assuming i can find my software disks. But if anyone has any knowledge about resetting it without the CD drive and doing it from the "restricted" setting it would be awesome if you could share the knowledge.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need to repair or replace the CD drive in your iMac. An external CD drive is not going to work to reset the password. However, here's something you might try.

Go here.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.