printing/scanning with Canon MP470

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Early 2008) 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8600 GT 512 MB Video RAM, 250 GB HDD
I have a new Macbook Pro and my Canon MP470 all in one printer I used to use with my old Windows notebook. I have two questions and was hoping that someone could help me out. I've installed the printer driver for Mac from the Canon website.

* How do I set the default printing to Greyscale only? I print mostly documents and don't want to waste the color cartridge ink.

* What software do I use to scan documents using the scanner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Whoa, wait a moment. Didn't you have a CD installer with your Canon printer, one for Windows, another for Mac? You need to install certain Canon (Pixma) software from a CD to handle various functions of your MP470.

Q 1. Choose a document to print, Cmd-P. In the dialog box that opens, click Copies & Pages, choose Quality & Media, click Grayscale Printing. Not sure if this will set the default, you can but try.

Q2. To scan, you simply place a document on the glass plate, close the lid, press Scan and the black or color button. This will only work if you have the Canon software installed - and if you have sufficient ink!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Early 2008) 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8600 GT 512 MB Video RAM, 250 GB HDD
I had lost the CD but I found it again. Using the CD, everything is working fine. I would have thought they would have the same software drivers up on the website as backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.