24" Apple LED Cinema Display VS.42" Samsung (or any other LCD/HDTV)*external monitor*

Reaction score
What would you do in this situation?

You have $1000 you are willing to spend on a external monitor. You are going to school in a few months for Digital Design and you do Final Cut editing. You already have a 15" Macbook Pro and you want extra work space.

Big screens are very attractive but all the same are apple products.

Would you buy a 24" Apple LED Cinema Display (Apple LED Cinema Display - Apple Store (Canada)) or say a 42" Samsung HDTV?

Both are around $1000. Price doesnt really matter. Quality wise.

Love to hear everyones opinion. Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
TVs' DPI for the most part aren't very high compared to traditional computer monitors. I've seen 1920X1080 DPI in the 42" range and smaller. If that's the case then I would get the 42".

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have the two screens side by side, you'll be much happier with the 24". (Depending on the distance you're sitting from the screen.)

My first try at using an HDTV as my primary computer monitor was a 32". The initial thrill of the screen size is great. But, over time I realized it really was too large, especially if you're sitting at a desk from only 2-4' away from the screen and playing games. You end up have to actually move your head to see things that you need for playing rather than just being able to move your eyes. Downsized to a 26" screen. That was about the perfect size. I also routinely connect my Mac to both, 55" and 65" 1080p screens.

If you're looking for a screen primarily to be working on your school projects, I would recommend a monitor over an HDTV. Especially if you and the monitor are sitting at a desk. Whether the Apple or ... there are some other very good monitors out there. If you're going to be sitting further from the screen, probably 6-8' back at a minimum and/or wanting to have it as a dual function monitor/TV, then would 'consider' the HDTV.

At the price you're considering paying, you might consider investing the few bucks in the adapter and HDMI cable for your MBP (not those over-priced Monster things) and find a store that will let you plug your Mac into a TV and check it out for yourself. The time and the few dollars checking it out will be worth it in the long run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.