Completely new to Mac - Question!

Reaction score
Hi! I'm totally new to Mac, and I have a question.
First of all, I tried ordering the 999.99 MacBook from Best Buy and there are completely out, and so are all of the stores around my city, and I can't see traveling hundreds of miles for a computer in the winter, ya know? And they won't ship this certain one for some reason.

Anyways, I went to eBay and bought this kind:
Item Specifics - Apple Laptops
Condition: Used Processor Type: --
Product Family: MacBook Processor Speed (per Core): 1.8 GHz
Screen Size: 13 inch Processor Configuration: --
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger Memory (RAM): --
Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo Hard Drive Capacity: 2 GB

Now, my question is.. My cousin has a new MacBook for college (mine isn't for schooling just yet, I'm a photographer/graphics geek), and she said hers has Leopard on it, which apparently is the new software. Well before I even thought to ask the question, I was the winning bidder (impluse bid?? maybe lol), so I see it's running on Tiger. Now, how slow is this going to be? Here's their description:
For Sale Here is a: Macbook(White) 1.83gHZ 2GB Memory 13" Screen Built-in Web Camera Bluetooth Wireless Extra Software I am selling my computer because I would like to get a Desktop instead. The computer is in EXCELLENT shape. I got it like 9 months ago. I never left my desk once. There are o dents or scratches. No dead pixels. I have never had any issues with it. It's runs very fast and had many cool features. There are some exra features included on the laptop such as some exrta software. I will restore computer to original state so it's cleaned out. Included is the charger, computer and case. Shipping and Handling will be $25 and that's the cost of shipping and the cost of materials used to ship. I ship my items well to ensure safe delivery. Item will be shipped within 3 days of auction ending and payment received. Please do not bid if you don't plan to buy. I took some pictures of the computer and the "About this Mac" screen and some other screens that displayed information about the computer. If you have any other questions or would like more photos, please feel free to ask and I will send more photos to any e-mail address. Thank you and Have a Happy New Year

Basically, am I getting a really old laptop, or is it still pretty 'up to date' with the current Mac additions?

Lesson learned: Ask seller a question before hitting "place bid". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
Well, it's not the newest one (v 10.4, whereas Leopard is v 10.5), the brand new one is Snow Leopard (v 10.6), but it will still have the main capabilities, no big changes...really, as far as I know, but I'm not sure what exactly the changes are. I don't think it will be any slower or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
Snow Leopard is not available yet. When it becomes available you will not need to have Leopard to buy Snow Leopard.

There is nothing wrong with the Macbook you bought, yes it is a little older, but it should be fine, for many uses. One question, how much did you pay for that machine?

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi, I paid $577 and some change.

Did I get ripped off? lol (I wouldn't be surprised).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I dont think you got ripped off, but I sincerely that it stayed on his desk for 9 months ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
LOL, me too.
Maybe I'm just the weird one who prefers laptops, rather than desktops. LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
$577 is a good deal, everything used in my area hovers between 600-700.

Should be a great machine.

OP
N
Reaction score
I guess it was $602 with shipping, forgot I had to pay shipping.
I talked with my cousin today and she said it looks good and sounds like it's going to be a great 'first mac' ;)

Reaction score
Macbook with Tiger

I have a Mac Book with Tiger on it. It is the 2.0 Ghz model and it think the only main difference in yours between the 999 one you originally planned to buy, is the system bus speed. If you look in your information, yours should be 667 while the white mac book would have had 800Mhz. I think you will notice no difference. Assuming the laptop is in good shape, i think you got an ok deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.