Need help downgrading from 10.5 to 10.4

Reaction score
Hello. I'm fairly new to mac and I need to downgrade from 10.5 to 10.4. I put in the black disc labeled "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 Install DVD" but it tells me "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine." Anyone know other ways to try?

Thanks!
Brent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
What kind of Mac are you trying to install this on? If it came with Leopard originally, you cannot downgrade, as Macs will only run on the system they shipped with or higher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Why are you trying to downgrade?

OP
B
Reaction score
What kind of Mac are you trying to install this on? If it came with Leopard originally, you cannot downgrade, as Macs will only run on the system they shipped with or higher.
I'm trying to install it on a macbook. As for the original OS, I actually thought it came with 10.4 originally from Apple but is there a way to look it up by serial number, etc?

Reaction score
The problem may be, that you are trying to do and upgrade. You need to erase & install for being able to downgrade the OS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The version of OS X and install disk\recovery disk is specific to your machine. It's possible to downgrade from Leopard to Tiger if you purchase a retail version of Tiger, boot with it, erase the current operating system along with all its applications and data, and then install Tiger.

But, why would you want to do that? If the machine is running Leopard, leave it alone. OS X is not like Windows where it might be desirable for example to downgrade from Vista to XP.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
The problem may be, that you are trying to do and upgrade. You need to erase & install for being able to downgrade the OS.
Just to clarify, this is a black disc labeled "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 Install DVD."

Now, how do I erase and install?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All the black Full Install DVD's of Tiger I have seen are for the Power PC Macs. Your Macbook is in Intel. I have never seen a Full Install of Tiger, only the Machine Specific DVD's.

Why do you want to downgrade?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.