• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buying A Home

JRV

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to buy a home in an area that has a bunch of foreclosures? On the one hand you can usually get a good deal on a home in that kind of area but on the other it can be kind of creepy to see the entire area with for sale signs up.

Good or bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I don't know much about homes and all that since I'm only 19, but with this economy and the foreclosures, it would seem the right time to get your dream home or close to it. That is if you can afford the cost of the payments and everything then I think it is wise. But I have to agree you part of what makes a house into a home is the neighborhood, nothing is more creepy than empty houses.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is it a bad idea to buy a home in an area that has a bunch of foreclosures? On the one hand you can usually get a good deal on a home in that kind of area but on the other it can be kind of creepy to see the entire area with for sale signs up.

Good or bad?

It's a great time to buy a home. Although property values are still plummeting, it is definitely a buyer's market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
It's a great time to buy a home. Although property values are still plummeting, it is definitely a buyer's market.

exactly, there dirt cheap so nows the time to buy.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
I figured it was a great time to buy since property value is going down but is there anything that may happen to the neighborhood if the other homes never sell? I mean there is no risk of a redevelopment type thing is there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
If the homes do not sell around you that means a lower price on your home, and for as redevelopment goes I do not know, I kinda doubt it in this type of market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's really impossible to say without know the details of the home and community. In this economy there's lots of people losing their homes in all kinds of communities. Buying a home is a serious and expensive purchase. If you haven't already, do some reading up on it because there is much to know and consider. I imagine there's people already publishing books about buying home specific to the current situation.

What I do know if that if I were in a position to buy a home and confident I would be there at least a few years (should be a factor regardless) I would definitely be home shopping. Maybe in a few years from and I just have to hope the prices don't bounce back too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.2GHz 160GB
I don't know much about homes and all that since I'm only 19, but with this economy and the foreclosures, it would seem the right time to get your dream home or close to it. That is if you can afford the cost of the payments and everything then I think it is wise. But I have to agree you part of what makes a house into a home is the neighborhood, nothing is more creepy than empty houses.

+1 on buying the home you want...seems like innna few years economy is gonna bounce back up which will cause home prices to skyrocket.

Get what you want now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.2GHz 160GB
If there are a lotta foreclosures in the area...id suggest offering a lowww lowww price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Do you want to live in that area?
Good local Schools, Doctors, shopping?
Does the house have the floor plan you prefer ~ Indoor out door flow ~ view from the living area windows ~ Too much or too little garden / yard area.
Age of plumbing, electrical work, roof and foundations ~ any need replacing?
Can you fix, broken windows, locks, leaks etc. How about wallpapering and painting?
Is good internet access available in the area?
OK that quick and incomplete list is after a life time of owning houses :)
All the best whatever you decide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.