USB to Firewire adapter?

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this... I'm getting one of the new Macbooks with no Firewire port. Unfortunately my external hard drive is Firewire 400 only. I'm trying to find an adapter so I can hook up my hard drive using one of the USB ports; can anyone help?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well, i don't think they make such a thing, personally i've never seen this kind of adapter ... although the speeds are similar, it's a completely different kind of data transfer, eg u can connect multiple devices to a single usb, but firewire is strictly "peer to peer"

too bad the macbook doesn't have an express card :( ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
No way any adapter could connect a slow port and make it run faster. It would be like saying I want a plug that goes into my 110 volt outlet and gives me 220 volts.

You can get a kit to move the hard drive to a usb enclosure. Check out newegg, tigerdirect, or frys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Other than the suggestion to transfer your external drive to a USB enclosure, if cost is an an obstacle, you can also remove the drive from its firewire enclosure and connect it to your Mac with an ATA/SATA-USB2 adaptor (US$20). As USB is 480 Mbs (variable), and firewire is 400, you shouldn't notice much difference (f/wire is more consistent).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
No way any adapter could connect a slow port and make it run faster. It would be like saying I want a plug that goes into my 110 volt outlet and gives me 220 volts.

You can get a kit to move the hard drive to a usb enclosure. Check out newegg, tigerdirect, or frys.

actually, u can connect a magic box to a 110 and get 220, it's called a transformator ... basically just 2 coils with a shared core :)

but yeah, usb and firewire are very different technologies

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.