• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How Do You Video Chat?

Reaction score
I have the Mac version of Aol Instant Messenger *of course*, and I can't figure out what you do to get a video chat going. Can anybody help me please?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
Do you mean iChat? If you have iChat then next to the buddy you want to video chat there will be a green button with a video camera icon on it. If there's no icon next to there name then they don't have their webcam enabled. When you click the icon the invitation for a video chat will be sent to them.

If you aren't talking about iChat then I don't know how to help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you mean iChat? If you have iChat then next to the buddy you want to video chat there will be a green button with a video camera icon on it. If there's no icon next to there name then they don't have their webcam enabled. When you click the icon the invitation for a video chat will be sent to them.

If you aren't talking about iChat then I don't know how to help.

Don't you need Moble Me for iChat?

And when I clikc iChat, nothing comes up at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No you don't need MobileMe, just an aol account. When you click it it should ask for your screenname and password and set up the account for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you mean for a video chat or your buddy list? iChat should import your AOL buddy list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Open iChat, go to the preferences of iChat click the accounts tab and set up your AIM account. It should connect you, if you still can not see your buddy list click window in the menu bar (with the focus on iChat of course) and click AIM buddy list.

To start a video chat click the green video icon next to your buddies name, this icon will only be there if they have a webcam. If they do not have a webcam and you just want to do a one way chat right click (control click) their name and invite to one way video chat.

If you are looking for more of a broadcast type of video chatting where many people can watch you check out Stickam - The Live Community, Live Streaming Video

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6, iPod Classic 80 GB
I've never used iChat, but I have set it up, and all you need is a Google account. Although if you've already got a buddy list you'd want to import that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.