External media drive - Backup with Time Capsule

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro with 250GB HD and I want to get an external hard drive to store my large video files. I already have a 1TB Time Capsule that I use to backup my laptop. I would like the external drive to be big, either 1TB or 1.5TB, so I don't believe the Time Capsule would be large enough to completely back up the laptop and the external drive. I also would like a drive that would power up/down depending on my laptop's wake/sleep status, so I don't always have to power it manually. I have several options:

1. Buy 750GB firewire external drive and have laptop and drive backup to 1TB Time Capsule. I'm not sure if Time Capsule allows multiple drives to backup to it. My concern though is if my drives get near full, the 1TB still won't be able to fully backup both drives as they cycle large files.

2. Buy 2 external hard drives, connect 1 directly to the laptop and 1 to the USB port on my Time Capsule. I'm wondering whether Time Machine could perform 2 simultaneous backup paths: A. laptop to Time Capsule; B- external drives to each other.

3. Connect a Raid 1 drive setup to USB port on Time Capsule via the Guardian Maximus:
1.0TB NewerTech Guardian MAXimus RAID-1 [... (GM8U27H10G64) at OWC
This would be an elegant method that would enable redundancy in one place. Only concern is performance would be bottlenecked by USB 2.0 as I'm used to performance of Firewire 800 or Gigabit ethernet (I do video work)

Also, I've noticed some NAS storage enclosures but I'm hoping the Time Capsule is the best option for my needs.

I think option 3 is my best solution, but was just curious about other peoples' setups. Mac users never cease to amaze me with their creativity and innovation.

Thanks,
Alexander

Reaction score
xternal media drive - Backup with Time Capsule

Summary:
Attempting to back up Iomega Ego for Mac 500GB Firewire linked with MBP to Time Capsule via Time Machine

Relevant System Info
2009 MBP 15, 2.66Ghz Core2 Duo, 4GB 1067MHZ DDR3.
Mac OSX 10.6.8
1TB Time Capsule, Mac OS Extended (case sensitive, journaled)
Iomega Ego for Mac 500GB

Hi Alexander
Did you ever resolve the external HD back-up to Time capsule?

I notice that in Time Machine, the external drive(s) appear, along with their respective data. It SEEMS that the external drive was backed up to Time Capsule, but I really am not sure.

In addition, I donʻt know if I can restore data from via Time Machine back to the external drive.

If anyone has answers, Iʻd be greatly appreciative . . .
~katkat

OP
H
Reaction score
I ended up getting a Guardian Maximus from OWC. Also have an offsite clone that I back up with Voyager Q to a 2 TB Seagate bare drive

Reaction score
Thank you, for your quick, concise, and clear response, Alexander! i probably will go with the RAID 1 approach, unless you have any problems with the Guardian Maximus.
~katkat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.