• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iSight camera not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
Hey guys,

My sister's MBP has a problem with it's iSight camera. It doesn't work for photo booth or iChat, it only shows the camera sign with a slash thru it. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Possibly another app is using it? Such as iMovie or parallels. I often find myself searching for what program is currently using my iSight ha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6, iPod Classic 80 GB
I've had my camera not work on my regular Macbook, but it was just black when I turned on PhotoBooth, there was no camera sign with a slash through it. I know on Macbooks the green light will go on to the right of the iSight camera when it is in use or broken. The light came on for me, but I just restarted and it worked right away. Sorry to suggest the obvious; you've probably already tried that.

OP
pantstofry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, thanks to both of you, but I restarted the computer and obviously all applications were closed, and we relaunched iChat and it still didn't work. It isn't broken is it? The computer is like a couple weeks old; but we have AppleCare...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really sure then I would take in into the Apple Store to be looked at, might as well put your AppleCare to use :)

OP
pantstofry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah we were probably going to do that as I cannot figure out what to do... but thanks so much for the help guys.

OP
pantstofry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it out. In case someone wants to know, do a reset of your PRAM and NVRAM. It doesn't affect anything really. Except the clock on some machines.

1. shut down
2. locate the cmd, option, P and R keys.
3. turn on computer
4. before you see the gray screen, make sure you're holding down cmd+option+P+R
5. Hold them down until the computer restarts once more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, yea PRAM I never even thought to mention that, I didn't think it would have any effect on the iSight.

Well I'm glad you got it working. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.