Desktop icons, finder bar, finder functionality gone

Reaction score
I just downloaded a .zip file with odd characters in the title. F025 arranged in a cube replace about 10 randomly placed characters in the file name. As soon as it was finished, all my desktop icons disappeared except for the two hard drive icons, which I can't open. I can open any program besides Finder.

I looked at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...308-desktop-icons-finder-bar-disappeared.html but it was completely unhelpful. I don't want to reinstall my OS (10.5.2), which has been fine for a year. I have a lot of nice, frequently used programs installed and no longer have the install disks.

If I can delete this one file off my desktop (perhaps through the terminal) I think it will fix the problem. Could I run Linux from a CD and access my desktop through that? I can't open any file folders. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks for any help.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, nobody. Managed to delete the file using the rm command in the terminal. Redownloaded it and renamed it something without the crazy characters and it worked just dandy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.