SATA RAID0 Array?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hey everyone,

I've just ordered a Mac Pro and its gonna be about 2 weeks before it gets here (8 day wait for Airport express card :Shouting: ), so in the mean time I thinking about what upgrades to buy for it.

I just left the standard 320Gb HDD drive as I am going to change it to a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drive. However, if I buy two, could I configure these in a RAID0 array.

I did not add the PCIe RAID card to the order as I thought that was for SAS drives, although I am unwilling to pay that much for a RAID array I realistically don't need. I managed a RAID0 on my last PC via the on-board RAID chip, but I don't know if the Mac Pro's mobo has one.

If any of you have done this or know if its possible/impossible it would be great to hear from you. :D

Marty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
On the Mac, you can't really access any type of BIOS options, to set up the RAID. (Like on most PC's) Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is use the RAID utility in Mac OS X. From my understanding of the utility, it should work. Do you want to do a RAID for data redundancy?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I understand the Mac Pro doesn't have a user accesable BIOS, however I was thinking if it has a RAID chip I would be able to configure a array when setting up OS X.

I am guessing this is what the RAID utility is that you are speaking about. Or, is this a software based RAID array.

I do not want to use RAID for redundancy, just to improve performance which is why I meantioned a RAID0 (striping array).

Thanks again,
Marty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.