mac mini boot up issues

Reaction score
I can't get my mac mini to boot up. It gets as far as the apple logo which then stays there and occasionally flashes into a circle with a line through it (like a no-smoking sign without the cigarette).

The last thing that happened before the machine went down was a perpetual spinning beach ball. It was shortly after installing a new piece of hardware (A midi controller) plus I was having issues with VLC media player and I had a few windows open (Safari, Logic and Finder). It was unresponsive for longer than I'd ever experienced so I turned it off at the power and it never turned back on.

I've tried Command, Option, P and R as well as Holding down Alt (this works but I have another issue with the 2nd start up disk which I think is unconnected). I haven't tried booting up OSX again because there are files on my machine which are not backed up and was hoping to sort it out without a master reset.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it greatly

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Follow the procedures given in this Apple KB article.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.