• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is there any way to make my creation secured from getting ripped off?

Reaction score
I have written one book on fiction. I want to publish it now so that everyone can come across my creation but I have one issue that someone can copy my creation which I don’t want so can anyone help me out to make my creation secured from getting ripped off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Copyright law is designed to protect you, you do not say what country you are in

If you have Acrobat Proffessional, or know someone who has, a PDF file can be created that disallows copying text from the document

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
If you publish it in print you have the same protection any other author has under copyright law, and it is illegal for people to reproduce whatever you made (with some limited exceptions). Technically you have the same protection if you release the work online, but if you do that and give it out as a word document or text file or something similar, it makes it a lot easier for people to plagiarise or steal. So you should do what louishen said and protect it by releasing it in restricted PDF only.

Reaction score
If you publish it in print you have the same protection any other author has under copyright law, and it is illegal for people to reproduce whatever you made (with some limited exceptions). Technically you have the same protection if you release the work online, but if you do that and give it out as a word document or text file or something similar, it makes it a lot easier for people to plagiarise or steal. So you should do what louishen said and protect it by releasing it in restricted PDF only.

But you also have to remember that those restricted PDF files can also be unlocked. Just like music/movie piracy, the people who really want to steal the (insert copyright work here) are going to be able to. A lot easier if it's released in ANY digital format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
try restricting the pdf or embedding a watermark onto each page of the documents.

Reaction score
It is less a matter of preventing anyone from copying your work and more being able to prove so in court if someone copyes your work and profits from it. Just printing "copyright ***" on the work is not sufficient.

Two workarounds, one cheap, one a bit more:
1 - Send yourself a manuscript and digital copy by snail mail. Make sure the envelope is sealed, and have the post office put a date-stamp across the flap. Leave the envelope sealed in case you need it.

2 - Self publish with a place that will give you ISBN #, library of congress, etc.

The main challenge in court is proving that you came up with an idea first.

Reaction score
You're automatically granted a copyright the moment the work is created, but there's still a system for registering items. If you're serious about this, it's worth looking into.

I'd also advocate getting yourself hard copy proof. Even if you just did a one off digital printing run for yourself and a few other people, that should be sufficient.

What I find is the hardest part (as a photographer) is actually finding the people committing the violation. It's easy if they take your work and turn it into a blockbuster movie or change a few words and end up on Oprah's book club, but if you're rather small time about it and so are they, there in lies the rub.

Lastly, nothing you can do will prevent people from being able to copy it. Even if you create a print version rather than an online version, it can be OCR scanned and turned into a document. This happens every day. You've got to do what you can to protect yourself and then just put it out there. Sharing your work is better than keeping it locked up because you're afraid someone is going to make it their own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.