mac pro sli question

Reaction score
hey guys ,

just looking into purchasing a mac pro and one of the main uses will be gaming in windows (lol dll h3ll) so I was wondering if it is possible to buy an extra 8800gt to run in sli while in windows and as only one gpu in osx.

thankyou for your help
:D

S

satrop

Hi!

Sorry to say, I'm sure you can not SLI Video cards in the Mac pro. But you "might" be able to run SLI in Windows, if you do a google search for "SLI in Mac Pro in windows" or somthing like that.

If I'm wrong some one will tell you.

Also if you getting a new computer and the main use will be for gaming, are you sure you want to get a Mac Pro? Large amount of change to give up for a gaming computer.

But all this said, I just installed XP on my Mac Pro and installed a few games on it last night. I gave "Sim City 4000" and "Left 4 Dead" a go last night. Sim City works amazingly better than on the Mac, Left 4 Dead, looks really good, both games don't slow down no artifacts with the graphics running at full tilt.

I have 5Gb of RAM and one ATI 1900XT card.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks a lot mate! That seems to have helped. Would still be interested in stories from anyone else who has done this...

BTW I'm not switching from a pc, I've always run osx just never bought a desktop. I'm aware that it's not the greatest gaming machine but I doubt I could live without OSX considering I also do a decent bit of music work.

I'll rep u if I can figure out how lol

S

satrop

No problem! Let me know if you have any luck on get the SLI to work, I might have a read up on it and give it a go some time during the week, as I have two extra cards not doing anything.

And yea, its net easy to find the rep thing. But on the left under you name there is a set of icons, a red dot, tick cross and "!". the tick cross in the thing you click on to ad to peoples rep.

Have a good one!

100th post - yeeeeeea me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.