Should I buy a mac mini

Reaction score
Hi
I have recently heard about the mac mini released and was very eager to check up on it. I was not plannig on purchasing a mac so soon so I have a few questions. I want to get you opinion, do you think it would be possible to get 5 years out of a mac mini with technology growing so fast. I need a computer that could use now and until college ends. So i would need at least 5 years. Do you think apple in a few years will upgrade the mac mini significantly. I would plan on buying the cheapest and let it come stock and i don't plan to do much with videos. Also I have heard Ilife and the other programs on their takes up alot of space. Please if you could help to decide if i should purchase this now or wait until the future to buy a mac mini.
thanks

Reaction score
Giansaz said:
Hi
I have recently heard about the mac mini released and was very eager to check up on it. I was not plannig on purchasing a mac so soon so I have a few questions. I want to get you opinion, do you think it would be possible to get 5 years out of a mac mini with technology growing so fast. I need a computer that could use now and until college ends. So i would need at least 5 years. Do you think apple in a few years will upgrade the mac mini significantly. I would plan on buying the cheapest and let it come stock and i don't plan to do much with videos. Also I have heard Ilife and the other programs on their takes up alot of space. Please if you could help to decide if i should purchase this now or wait until the future to buy a mac mini.
thanks

I wouldn't plan on a whole lot of "upgrades" for the mac mini, it's only about 2" high by about 6" square, not a lot of room to add things to on the inside. You can go to 1 gig on memory, or you can put in a bigger hard drive, but internal that will probably be about it. Of course you can add to it external through usb or firewire. Getting 5 years out of it entirely depends on what you will need to do 4 or 5 years down the road.

If all you need is medium graphics, and word processing along with some music, i see no reason why the mini couldn't last you quite a while. Throw in a little web browsing and email and you won't even start to strain it. About the only thing you will probably need to do is increase the ram up to 512... Don't forget OS X, is quite stable and easy to use without a lot of the baggage that a winders machine will come with. Sure you can buy a winders machine for the same or less, but it will be a bottom of the barrel machine that will need lots of "Upgrades" to reach a decent state and then there is still winders to deal with...

As far as programs, mac stuff isn't any bigger than mickeysoft stuff, and a lot of times they are smaller. You can put a lot of stuff on a 40 gig drive... and you can always add a usb or firewire external when ever you need more storage.

Can you get 5 years use from the Mac Mini...Short answer is yes...if you want to...

OP
G
Reaction score
If I was to wait about a year do you think they will have os tiger on the mac mini or any other major upgrades. Thanks for th help

Reaction score
I still have an iMac 333mhz which I have had for the last six years and it was my main internet computer up to a week ago and I was running the latest version of OS X in it so if you can do it with a six year old iMac i don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible with a mac-mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.