White iMac 2.16ghz 160GBHDD - Odd issue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Ok, so in my multimedia classroom at work (Work as an IT guy at high school), we have about 36 White iMac's, all with a 160GB harddrive.

Problem is this.

About 3 iMac's or so have about 100MB or so left.

I used Disk Inventory X, Omni Disk Sweeper, both on a root level access account, and it showed what was using the space, and how much of it was being used. I added up all the space that was shown, and it came up as 77GB used out of 148GB total, w/ 100MB remaining on the Harddrive.

I checked out our other iMac's and it showed well over 65GB free. All these iMac's are identical in hardware, and software installed by me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Kids and imacs :Grimmace:

I'm not familiar with the sw you used. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the hd is partitioned.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Installed on the iMac's are Final Cut Studio, Tiger 10.4.11, shared resources that get pulled over...

All these iMac's were imaged prior to the start of the school year.
There are no weird partitions going on or anything like that, just a simple single partition, like normal.

Reaction score
This got my curiosity up since I had a friend tell me about 40gigs missing in his windows box. Apparently it's a known bug in vista and it gave me another opportunity to insult microsoft. That said, I didn't come up with anything regarding macs and missing disc space.

I'd use Terminal to figure this out. Open Terminal with an admin account and type du -sckx /Applications/*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.