iMac to external HDTV

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to connect my VIZIO HDTV to my new 24"iMac so that I have some extra screen space. I bought a this cable...

APPLE MAC MINI-DVI TO HDMI- HDMI CABLE INCLUDED!! - eBay (item 370140299754 end time Jan-05-09 23:45:14 PST)

I connected the mini-DVI cable to my iMac and then connected th HDMI cable to the connector and the other end into the HDMI port on my HDTV.

I am getting nothing. Just a blue screen when I change to the HDMI channel where it says "No Signal!"

Can anyone help me resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Kit

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, the adapter and cable are the correct ones to use so we can eliminate that.

Make sure the adapter and HDMI male to male cable are snug and fitted correctly. Also make sure you have both your iMac and the TV setup correctly to send and receive the video signal.

Your iMac: System Preferences -> Displays. Does the Vizio show up as a choice? Set the Vizio to "mirror" the iMac by dragging it on top of the iMac display. Use the native resolution of the Vizio (check your manual).

Secondly, the TV should be setup to receive a video signal from an outside source, much the same way it would receive a signal from a DVR. Check your owner's manual to learn how. Probably through a menu system accessible from the remote.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.