Macbook not recognising keyboard/mouse or even an external keyboard or mouse.

Reaction score
Once OS X get's to the login screen it stops recognising the keyboard, before this, for example at boot they work fine as I made it boot into vista via boot camp and it's working fine there?

So it's not a hardware issue?

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the internal keyboard and mouse are not being recognized on the OS X side of things and work OK on the Vista side, then you're correct it probably isn't a hardware issue.

I'm assuming here you've tried removing the external keyboard and mouse and just using the internal keyboard and track pad?

Try this: Boot your machine with your original install DVD. From the top menu (after booting) select Disk Utility. Highlight your Macintosh HD and then select the First Aid tab. Select "Repair Permissions". It may take awhile to run. After it finishes reboot the machine normally and see if that helps.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
If the internal keyboard and mouse are not being recognized on the OS X side of things and work OK on the Vista side, then you're correct it probably isn't a hardware issue.

I'm assuming here you've tried removing the external keyboard and mouse and just using the internal keyboard and track pad?

Try this: Boot your machine with your original install DVD. From the top menu (after booting) select Disk Utility. Highlight your Macintosh HD and then select the First Aid tab. Select "Repair Permissions". It may take awhile to run. After it finishes reboot the machine normally and see if that helps.

Let us know.

Regards.

Thank you for the reply.
I just tried it without the USB mouse + keyboard plugged in, no change.
Problem is I don't have my leopard disk to hand at the moment to try repairing permissions.

Is there another way I could do this? I have my tiger disc?

For the record I also tried "Safe booting" it with no effect.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need your Leopard DVD to repair permissions as that is what operating system is currently on the machine.

As a long shot you can try this: Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

I would have also suggested resetting the PRAM and NVRAM but you can't do that without a working keyboard.

Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can hook your MacBook to the other Mac via "Target Mode". That requires a FW to FW connection. That would allow you to boot the hard drive in your MacBook by using the good Mac. Then you could repair permissions on your MacBook from the good Mac.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
My drive isn't being recognised under macdrive in vista now, is it possible its corrupted?

EDIT: I don't think it's corrupted as I can get to the login screen still. All I want to do now is recover my work from my hard drive, then I'll reformat.

ANy suggestions

P.S My keyboard works, just not in OS X. So I can still hold alt to choose windows drive etc.

Reaction score
I have the same problem

Hi, i have the exact same issue. Did you figure out a resolution?

Reaction score
my macbok does the same thing,
when i boot my mac, my keyboard(onboard) and trackpad aren't recognized.
enyone a idea?

tnx

Reaction score
same here, my macbook pro is only a week old! any solution found yet?? im a mac newbie so be gentle!

Reaction score
same here, my macbook pro is only a week old! any solution found yet?? im a mac newbie so be gentle!

Your MBP is still under warranty, so the choice is an easy one.;D

As for the others, sounds to me like it's a well known problem.
Call Apple, or do the target mode thing... that's good advice!

Reaction score
I held down the power button, restarted, and it was back to normal again, slightly worried that it happened in the first place tho. Do you think I should still take it back and see what they say? or call the help line?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.