PdaNet allows USB in windows only but what if...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
so the USB connection in the new release of PdaNet allows windows users to avoid the hassle of creating a wifi connection and now you can simply download PdaNet desktop software (free) in windows and just plug the iPhone in and surf away.

i tested it last night on my VM XP on my macbook and it works perfectly. the catch is that PdaNet does not plan to work on getting this going on the Mac side because of a completely different USB structure. so i was able to surf etc... on XP but not on OS X.

my thought is that since the VM uses the Mac network in normal conditions then wouldn't it be possible to reverse that and when using PdaNet via USB in XP somehow get OS X to use the XP internet.

this is not my area and i thought others might have an idea.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Using VM on the Mac merely makes it possible for XP to run under OS X.

VM acts as a pass-thru for USB communications from XP to the iPhone.

It's the USB programming architecture in XP that is talking to pdaNet itself, and it inherently different than the USB programming architecture in OS X.

Like getting graphics to appear on screen using Pascal or C++ (going back a few years) The graphic that you visibly see could be the same, but the programming structure used to get it to display on screen is different.

OP
fletch33
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
well so far with help from a friend we have been able to get it to work via an ethernet connection from an XP machine to a mac.

i strongly believe that there would be a way to direct OS X to connect through XP without the ethernet route which would not be useful on the road when PdaNet is needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.